wheel bearing / cv joint?

T

thelegend

On my fortnightly drive home along the fantastic A68 from scotland to newcastle i thought that my car wasn't handling as well as it usually does, it felt a bit loose on turn in. Driving the car at sensible speeds today after it had cooled off overnight i now have a squeaking rotational noise on right hand bends.

whats your betting wheel bearing / cv joint / other.

any procedures for determining which it is.

cheers

paul

C

Chase

Hi mate, got the same problem with mine. Thought it was a wheel bearing as i used to have a ford racing puma that went through bearings all the time and showed the same symptons. However i work for vauxhall and had it up on the ramp today and it turned out to be the cv joint. Grease everywhere:doh:

C

Chase

jack the car up, rotate the wheels and put your fingers on the suspension and u'd be able to feel if it's the wheel bearing

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I thought you rocked the wheel at 3+9 and 6+12 o' clock positions to check for wheel bearing play?

T

thelegend

i'll get it up in the air and have a good look around and report back.

cheers

paul

antgtir

Fast Guy said:
I thought you rocked the wheel at 3+9 and 6+12 o' clock positions to check for wheel bearing play?
Dont doubt yourself you are correct, also you could strip it down lol doesn't take that long, youll have it done in your lunch hour:lol:

Ant.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
antgtir said:
Dont doubt yourself you are correct, also you could strip it down lol doesn't take that long, youll have it done in your lunch hour:lol:

Ant.
Yeah, I've done the CV boot in around that time.;-)