wheel and brake clearances for Mickey Thompson tyres

R

robinsongtir

Okay been looking into tyres and wheel sizes for my road leagl drag tyres.I have at the moment a set of 285mm hispec disks on std calipers want to know if I can get some 15s at the best offset to A clear the discs okay and B be able to run some Mickey Thompson ET street tyres 235/60R15s and also to clear the struts running some GABs at the moment. I would go for a set of 16s wheels but the MT tyres are even wider the bigger in size you go.
Anyone constructive comments please???

A

antilag

personally mate id go for the hoosier quicktimes in 225/60/15 they have an 8" tread pattern they have awesome grip and look pretty mad

that is pretty much the thinest tyre u will find in drag style ive been looking for 3 months now for a set for 14's but had no luck so i might have to go 15'S which i really dnt want to do

M

MarkMc

I think going to some sort of drag tire makes a lot of sense. When you go to the drags all the guys with v8s(most experience) have proper drag tires. I’m looking at BFG drags street tread(DOT) 16 ,215, 40 profile and will probably only run them on the front. I don’t think I will need them on all four. A figure a bit of slip :wink: may be good for keeping the turbo spooled and stopping it bogging :wink: down.

Cheers

Mark

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
235/60/15 sounds like a big ass (read heavy, rob you of power) tyre. Are the Dunlop DJ01s (in a smaller size) anygood? I know they aren't an out and out drag tyre, but if they're good enough for Sumo and everyone else dragging on...........?

R

robinsongtir

sumo use Toyo NT555Rs not sure on if the width of them on 15s though.I am more concerned about whether I can get the 15s under the 285 disc at the moment I can always sort out spacers for the tyres to fit if that becomes a prob.Has anyone got 285 discs with std calipers usin 15 wheels??

R

robinsongtir

just Checked on the Toyo NT555Rs that Sumo use the narrowest they do in 15s are 265s so even wider than the mickey Ts at 235s :?: :?: