what tyre size?

• Thread starter blackpulsargtir
  • Start date
B

blackpulsargtir

i have 16" alloys with 205/50/16 tyres and the front catch when going over bumps.

are these tyres too big / wide or might this suggest a more sinister problem with suspension?

thanks

p.s. if anyone with 16" wheels puts up what tyre size they have i shall get mine changed to whichever size appears the most

O

Odin

I used to run 205x45x16 which don't rub on anything, And now 215x40x16 and these don't rub ether.

Rob

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
What Rob says.

205/50/16's are 40mm bigger than standard after a quick calc

In fact they are 4mm taller than 215/35/18 wheels to put things in perspective!!!!

B

blackpulsargtir

optimum tyre size

right - if i'm wrong can someone put me right

ta for previous comments

i've been doing some calculations and i've worked out that 215/40/16's would be the optimum fitment, in terms of not changing the overrall radius and the revolutions

in fact if my memory serves me right the original fitment is 185/60/14 (is this correct)
and 215/40/16's would in fact only be 1 rpm per mile less than the original size.

and only half a mm overrall bigger radius???

if anyone knows any different let me know cos i'm just about to order this size.

the only thing i'm concerned about is that going from 205 to 215 (may this catch on the width rather than the depth)

all help appreciated

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
OE could have been 185/60/14, 195/55/14 or 195/50/15 (optional upgrade?) depending on where you look.

215/40/15 are fine as are 205/45/16. The 215/40/16 are closer to OE whilst the 205/45/16 have more options avialable. Both offer similar contact patches and levels of grip.

The 205/45 is squarer where as the 215/40 is more oblong.

cmng

Sorry
just to check
will 215 x 45 x 17 will fit on R ?

this one is 17. not 16

what the best fitment for 17" on R

youngsyp

cmng said:
Sorry
just to check
will 215 x 45 x 17 will fit on R ?

this one is 17. not 16

what the best fitment for 17" on R
They probably will fit but, your speedo will be way out and, they may hamper acceleration a touch too. The tyre would have a 9.7% larger rolling circumference than the stock 195/55-14 tyre. Check this out for more help:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

blackpulsargtir: I have 215/40-16 on my 16x7 with 35mm offset rims and my R is about 30-35mm lower than stock and they dont rub at all. Maybe your offset is too large/small ?

cmng

err the car is more than street car rather then track and drag
i think speedo out is not a issue

just afraid it not fit only

D

danmo

I have now got 205-45-16 on the back and once the spacers arrive then I'll have 195-45-16 on the front.
no need to go too wide, it's 4wd so has grip and the 195's at the front will be less prone to aquaplane and less reistance at high speed. (I use the motorway alot)

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
danmo said:
I have now got 205-45-16 on the back and once the spacers arrive then I'll have 195-45-16 on the front.
no need to go too wide, it's 4wd so has grip and the 195's at the front will be less prone to aquaplane and less reistance at high speed. (I use the motorway alot)
Out of interest, is there some reasoning why they're bigger at the back or have you just not got round to changing them yet?

D

danmo

bigger at back cos managed to get really good tyres at a really good price, but was advised to put the better tyres on the back.
suppose more traction from the slightly wider tyres, and better (sharper) turning response from the narrower tyres at the front.
for example all high performance cars have wider tyres at the back that at the front, most are rwd, but suposidly when the front wheels loose grip the centre diff puts the power to the back wheels.
p.s. got michelin pilot exaltos on the back - worth £105 each new and got the 2 fitted for £50, cos part worn but still have loads of tread on them, and sort of know the guy.

cmng

eh one thing i was recommend that it adviseable 4wd car should use all same size tyre around

different size of tyre will effect on the 4wd system like HICAS thing

it is true ?

rayman75

cmng said:
eh one thing i was recommend that it adviseable 4wd car should use all same size tyre around

different size of tyre will effect on the 4wd system like HICAS thing

it is true ?
i also heard that aswell, its advisable to have all same size tyres and tread pattern aswell.

oldaneal

will have a look on the end of the best motoring video think nissan rallied em with 15's on the front and 16's on the back