What front disks to use?

Shmev88

What front discs to use?

I've recently bought new wheels and a set of fiat coupe brembos, was wondering what discs I should us, wheels are 16x8, was hoping to use a 300ish mm disc, ive still to fabricate brackets for the calipers so I can do that to suit. Any advice welcome, I can easily look up 4x100mm discs but it's the offset I'm worried about getting wrong.

Last edited:

keastygtir

you could use the clio 172 disks. They need spacing about 4mm from the hub when run with EVO 3 calipers

Jon Olds

I have some fiat coupoe turbo ones spare that I modified to fit
pm me is they are any good
305 by 25 I think
Jon
Also have the fancy rackets to mount radial ap 4 pot calipers onto as well

Shmev88

Thinking I'll probably go with a set of 304mm fiat discs, if I was to fabricate a caliper bracket would anyone have the facility to mill a one piece unit? Looks a bit tidier at the mot and hopefully stronger.

Shmev88

I'd love a two piece, where would I buy something like that, ive been looking but can't justify the price of a disc and bell combo from most sites.

whytie

Can get them from hi-spec.

The brackets from the calipers are very simple and use 3 or 4mm spacers. Would prob take 10 mins to make a set.

KieranEG6

Bit of a revival.

Mini 2005 Cooper S JCW front discs are 294mm, 4x100 and perfect offset for hub/ball joint clearance.

Jon Olds

Good nugget of info to know. I run 280mm Golf G60 fronts. Bit small, but common parts to other toys on the fleet
Jon

KieranEG6

Calipers are a HiSpec 4 pot kit or a wilwood Dynalite kit, both converted off an FTO. Haven't decided which I am going to use as the Hispecs have a 2 piece 295x28mm disc.

I have loads of wheels to be. But I test fitted today and they fit under 15s. It's all down to wheel and spoke design. Sods law I have 3 sets of 15s that fit but they are off my civics and Mx5s. The 16s and 17s I have for the Pulsar both need around an 8mm spacer to clear.

To be honest the Mini discs are the best option in my eyes as they are only 22mm thick you can use a smaller caliper or mount further in and gain better wheel clearance. As most kits like the Hispecs come with 25-30mm thick discs they sit out quite a bit more. I wish I had found the Mini discs dimensions before buying new discs for the Hispec kit I have. I actually only bought the Mini discs to test fit and put together as a kit to go with whichever calipers I don't use. And as a confirmation for future as a cheaper alternative to 2 piece discs.

Slammo

Thanks for the information. I am shortly doing a brake upgrade on my car and hoping to keep my 15s but there doesn't seem to be a magic formula out there. The brake shops that I have approached over here aren't interested in any custom type installations.

KieranEG6

I would do it yourself, can save quite a bit of money and get exactly what you want. You can buy the likes of universal brackets with bolt holes to suit whichever caliper you want to use from wilwood or hispec then go from there. I plan to do a mini write up of the rough dimensions of the ones I have modified of FTOs once they are complete.

KieranEG6

Thanks for the information. I am shortly doing a brake upgrade on my car and hoping to keep my 15s but there doesn't seem to be a magic formula out there. The brake shops that I have approached over here aren't interested in any custom type installations.
Will also depend what 15s you have, there are only a select few designs that can accommodate 290-300mm discs and 4pots. Unless you dont mind running hefty spacers.

splmum

You could also use a Nissan Qashqai that are 296x44x26 5x114.3 so would need to redrill.