water temp

nissans rule

the fans on my car wont come on themselves so i changed the sensor on the back of the head . and they still didnt come so i wired them off a switch which is fine .it has been this way now for two years but i would like to get them working the rite wayso any ids. oh when it first started to heat i taught it was the thermostat so i took it out . today i but in a new genuine one and it opens but the guage will go nearly to 3/4s and stays there .:der:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
The fans never come on, or just you never see them come on? (Without your switch I mean)

For a while I thought mine might be broken; I've never overheated, but even with the oil temperature climbing I never saw them spin-up... until I got the engine hot and turned the AC on (just the switch because the compressor is gone), and caught sight of the fans kicking-in. It seems to need quite a big thermal load to turn them on, so they do seem to kick-in quite late (unlike the PFC I'm told, which turns them on quite early by default).

So, do you have the AC in? I remember somone (Ollie maybe) saying that people forget to bridge the connector for the AC reciever when they take it out sometimes, and this means the fans never get a live signal. Could it be something as simple as that?

Braveheart

So, do you have the AC in? I remember somone (Ollie maybe) saying that people forget to bridge the connector for the AC reciever when they take it out sometimes, and this means the fans never get a live signal. Could it be something as simple as that?
Interesting.... I did not bridge any connections when removing AC.
Best have a look and the wiring diagram... hmm.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I had to brigde the twin pressure switch connections from my removed aircon to get my fans to operate normally. They also work when the engine is running and I press my aircon switch like they used too.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I had to brigde the twin pressure switch connections from my removed aircon to get my fans to operate normally. They also work when the engine is running and I press my aircon switch like they used too.
Maybe it was you then Carl! - I'm sure I read it somewhere and thought "Ah, that makes sense!".

geoff pine

the fans on my car wont come on themselves so i changed the sensor on the back of the head . and they still didnt come so i wired them off a switch which is fine .it has been this way now for two years but i would like to get them working the rite wayso any ids. oh when it first started to heat i taught it was the thermostat so i took it out . today i but in a new genuine one and it opens but the guage will go nearly to 3/4s and stays there .:der:
Have you checked the fan relay if you let the car idle for 20 min the fans should come on you will hear them kick in.I think the temps about 90ish when they kick in if you have changed sensor and stat its relay or fuse, next.

nissans rule

Have you checked the fan relay if you let the car idle for 20 min the fans should come on you will hear them kick in.I think the temps about 90ish when they kick in if you have changed sensor and stat its relay or fuse, next.
i can leave the car tick over and the temp guage will go to hot and they still wont come on.is they a way of checking the relay , and stat. maybe my guage is wonky

nissans rule

sorted this problem anyway . it turned out to b the temperture guage sender beside the temp sensor .thats the c..t of a thing to but on. also i had to run another wire from sender to the car wiring loom cause there was a break in it somewhere along the engine loom. anway all good three hrs with a multimeter, and guage works perfect and fans kick in.:thumbsup:

hainesz

sorted this problem anyway . it turned out to b the temperture guage sender beside the temp sensor .thats the c..t of a thing to but on. also i had to run another wire from sender to the car wiring loom cause there was a break in it somewhere along the engine loom. anway all good three hrs with a multimeter, and guage works perfect and fans kick in.:thumbsup:
can you shed some light on the wire you replaced im having the same problem.... i take its the sensor with 1 wire on it, but where did you wire this to? was your temp gauge on your clocks working still before you done this repair?