water temp

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
I'm sure that its supposed to read:

Normal Driving - 84 to 88deg

Parked - 89 to 92deg

Although if you've just come off a fast hard run on a track it will rise a bit higher and then eventually cool with the aid of the fans... A larger capacity rad would help this...

Rishi

nismoboy

nice one, :wink:

it only goes this high when i give it some stick, so from what u say its about right then. thanks.

Fire & skill

Vintage member
you should try keeping it a tad lower (80) if im ragging it i tend to also put the interior fan heater on to full!! gets rid of a bit more heat. :lol: :lol:

Rishi

Fire & skill said:
you should try keeping it a tad lower (80) if im ragging it i tend to also put the interior fan heater on to full!! gets rid of a bit more heat. :lol: :lol:

You will find that when your thermostat starts to wear that the temps will drop a lot lower on the motorway...

Mine were between 60 - 77 on motorways when mine was worn out... The rubber in the thermostat wears and lets cold water through thus keeping the temps a lot lower...

Your car will overfuel at anything lower than 80deg in order to get the temps up...

Ideal temps are 84 - 88deg... I even checked with Ian @ Hiteq as my temp gauge is on the dash no longer reads right... The Apexi temp reading is fine tho...

Rishi

JIMMYBACK

RishiGTiR said:
Fire & skill said:

You will find that when your thermostat starts to wear that the temps will drop a lot lower on the motorway...

Mine were between 60 - 77 on motorways when mine was worn out... The rubber in the thermostat wears and lets cold water through thus keeping the temps a lot lower...

Your car will overfuel at anything lower than 80deg in order to get the temps up...

Ideal temps are 84 - 88deg... I even checked with Ian @ Hiteq as my temp gauge is on the dash no longer reads right... The Apexi temp reading is fine tho...

Rishi
cheers dude u have just solved one of my problems :D

Fire & skill

Vintage member
RishiGTiR said:

Rishi

man thats good information, im planning a new approach to my new R and i was thinking of an electronic actuator controlled valve via ptc sensor & control board so that temp was more stable than the mechanical stat. so if i maintained it say at 84 opposed to 88 this would be ideal?

nismoboy

ive got lower temp nismo thermostat :?:

so would u say my car is ok as it normally sits around 85c its just that the power fc displays the highest it had been while i was thrashing it over a ten minute period.

Or do u think it would be worth getting a bigger (uprated) rad :?:

Fire & skill

Vintage member
before changing the rad you will have to first establish - is it just that you arent getting rid of enough heat? OR is it due to you creating too much heat?

Rishi

Yes 84 and 85 are fine...

Remember that your PowerFC will be setup to run normal fueling at 80deg and over... You can adjust the PowerFC setting to allow you to run cooler if you wish..

But remember that you don't want your engine to run too cool... There is a reason why the engine was designed to run at these temps...

The only reason you would want a thermostat to open at lower temps or a thicker core rad is if the engine is generating a lot more heat i.e from big boost and big turbo's....

In this instance there is more pressure in the cooling system which can wear your rad and thermostat apart... Thats what happened to me anyway... In this case an uprated rad and thermostat would be ideal... Remember that its not always that the thermostat will open sooner its that it will take the abuse from the higher pressures in the cooling system... Its the thicker rad that will help keep the temps where they should be...

Hope that all makes sence to everyone...

Rishi