Water in Wells, Now Misfires

bensmith907

sorry to raise another misfire thread.

I had a perfect running car untill I parked it on a hill in the rain and one of my plug wells filled with water- I have removed all the water by using a rag and dried up the leads and plugs but still the misfire exists?

yesterday I went through the normal misfire drills of cleaning up the connectors again, cleaning up the dizzy and checking the timing but still no joy.

the misfire only exists above 3500revs with the throttle open and i can get it to go far above 3500rpm if i use very little throttle.

the only notable modification I have made is changing the ECU a week before my misfire started, but I have travelled approx 500 miles with not even a hint of trouble.

I hoping some one else has had a simular problem with water in the wells and can point to my solution... or atleast start calling out random parts it could be:)

Many thanks,

Ben

bensmith907

checked the injector resistor it was a good call because the plug was being pulled apart Ive re-routed it now but otherwise its all as dry as a bone. will have a test drive now though to check.

bensmith907

that'll be a check for tonight at work then I don't actually own my own multimeter. however after 5months of gtir ownership im thinking it may be a good investment along with a long list of other tools.

P

pulsarboby

get a hair dryer and unplug all electrical connections and dry them off then coat everything with wd40 or similar.....pay particular attention to inside of dizzy cap as the spark tends to track across if damp, also the ignition amplifier module, dizzy and coil electrical connectors

red reading

Take your leads off the car and put them in a oven at 80 degrees for an hour, gap your plugs to .7mm and fit a new dizzy cap. then soak it all in wd40.

bensmith907

OK this things have turned nasty. this may or may not be related but I now have white smoke in my rear view mirror after I change gear and my water temp is reaching above 200deg c so Im starting a new thread

last night I dried out the leads and drenched everything in WD40 then went for a drive. the misfire disappeared for about 10 mins then returned.

Im hoping for the best but I fear the worst

Last edited: