voltage range of lambda

CruiseGTi-R

Can anyone confirm what the voltage range is for the oe lambda sensor?

Is it 0-1V, or does it go a tad higher?.

More importantly, is its voltage characteristic such that when it returns 0.5V, this is Stoich?

I've searched but still not clear :cry: .

Cheers, toby

CruiseGTi-R

yeah, I just bloody found that too. :roll: :oops:

as long as it does this:

why would the stock one go to 1.2 or 1.4v? I don't want stoich to be at 0.6v for example.

I suppose if its able to read 1.2v then it knows earlier (say 13.5:1) when its going to start the transition to lean?

Last edited:
F

Fusion Ed

Stock O2 sensor will read the same as any narrow band sensor. The graph above will apply (well as near as) If you intend to use this for keeping an eye on the cars AFR it will not be enough to protect you from disaster. If you monitor the voltage at idle you will get a jumping from rich to lean, this is a test to show that 1, the sensor works and 2 the car is in closed loop operation.

Ed

geetee

I thought the closed loop only took effect when cruising on part throttle.

With the idle being controlled by a base map and the adjustable idle valve.

?

CruiseGTi-R

I'm replacing oe lambda sensor with wideband unit which feeds ecu with a converted narrow band signal to keep it happy. But this only works if stock one is 0-1V.

As it happens I'm sticking a new exhaust on so may just get a bung welded on.

F

Fusion Ed

The ecu is in closed loop at idle as well. You can see this if you plug in the consult software to the ecu.

The wide band to narrow band conveter will work fine.

Ed

geetee

hmm... ok.

Just going by what happens on my AFR gauge.

At idle it doesn't flick about....

e.g. from cold if you leave it idling it starts on full rich then as the engine warms up it moves gradually round towards lean 5 or 6 pips.

Once warmed up, foot down it goes full rich. Just cruising it flicks from lean to rich and back maybe 4 times a second. Idling when warm it just sits steadily about halfway into rich.

Anyway... back on topic...

I datalogged the output from my lambda a while back and it was regularly seeing 1.4V. I have no idea if this is normal for a Pulsar lambda or if it is buggered. I didn't have a wideband lashed up at the time to verify it so don't know what it read at what o2 content.

I don't know why but this question seems to come up a lot..... does the Pulsar lambda operate up to a higher voltage and what is stoich? There seems to be a lot of apocryphal evidence that it may not be a 0 - 1V range.

To be honest I can't see why Nissan would use anything other than a bog standard sensor. After all these sensors are now 10 - 15 years old. Has anyone tried logging the output of the lambda on any other car of the same age..... probably get the same result.

Cheers
Graham

A

AJ4

I've logged two different sensors using the PFC and also a standalone data logger, one was 1.4 volts the other was 1.1 volts IIRC