vernier pulleys

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
On a big spec engine they'll let you dial in the cams more accurately and so make the best power from the cams, other than that I don't think they'll do much apart from look good and be lighter than the standard cam pulleys.

Dooie Pop Pop

what would you call a 'big spec' for a pulsar? 400bhp+?. wouldn' t making the cam timing more accurate make for a more better smoother revving engine :?

cheers, stu

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Dooie Pop Pop said:
wouldn' t making the cam timing more accurate make for a more better smoother revving engine :?

cheers, stu
It could do if they weren't set up too well before.

A

AJ4

there is a theory that the cam timing on the standard engine is pretty conservative, so having verniers will probably let you get a bit more power out of it, you don't have to have a massive power engine. Can't remember what it was, something like inlet +5' exhaust -2' is more optimum ( standard cams )

Just got the cost of putting it on a rolling road to find out.... :(

Mr GTiR

just got a set of pulleys and HKS 264 for a mate of mine and that will only be about 310bhp, so worth doing to get it set up spot on :wink:

Dooie Pop Pop

im just thinking maybe its best getting an engine as 'in-tune' as possible. wouldn' t thought it' d be worth it unless you used cams as well. how much would a set of pully' s cost?

Mr GTiR

A set of pulleys is about £120 and should be used in conjuction with aftermarket cams.

No real benefit when used with standard cams.

A

AJ4

Mr GTiR said:
No real benefit when used with standard cams.
You can move your torque curve around, you'll get the same improvements regardless of what cams you use.

A performance cam will maybe give you more power / torque overall, but regardless of what the cam is, timing it properly to the engine is the same. Nissan didn't get it perfect for every individual engine :D

Dooie Pop Pop

think im getting this now cheers :D verniers will allow you to tune each cam individualy if iv read this right. they might not give you masses of extra power but can effect the way its delivered 8)

sound pretty usefull to me :p

would they be easy to fit with the engine out?

stu

C

clive760

cams pulleys

Dooie Pop Pop said:
think im getting this now cheers :D verniers will allow you to tune each cam individualy if iv read this right. they might not give you masses of extra power but can effect the way its delivered 8)

sound pretty usefull to me :p

stu
who needs cams & pulleys am runing strd 1s & produsing 400ponnies with ease & mor 2 com :D :D :D :D :D :D 8)

A

AJ4

Dooie Pop Pop said:
yes, very :D

Heres another way of looking at it, you could say that its pointless fitting fuel / ignition controllers unless you are running big power, but who reckons the standard Pulsar fuel and ignition maps are perfect ? :lol:

Apparently standard cams are pretty good profile wise, just not necessarily timed right for your engine. Don't forget, everytime you change an airfilter, exhaust etc you change the way the engine breathes. You want to maximise the cams for your particular engine, regardless of what power it makes.

Dooie Pop Pop

iv read a little enough on this to confuse my self :lol: increasing the size of your exhaust increases the rate that exhaust fumes are removed from the combustion chamber.
if iv read correctly this means that you can start adding fuel earlier so i can see where retuning would be a good idea :wink:

seems like verniers can be of some use if you like the idea of fine tuning, depends on how far down the power road you want to go. but if the engines out already you might as well make the most of it and stick em on :lol:

intake wise im leaving it with a stock shaped 2and3/4" pipe and a ss filter.
clive? this is your R 8) what kind of manifold are you using ?

cheers for help, stu