Valve Shim nightmare

PulsarLee

Hey guys,

well what a fool ive been. over the past couple of months ive been rebuilding my engine (first timer). sent my head to a local company for pressure test and skim........... left the valve shims on the valves like a total idiot. Had the head collected by my dad, all clean and shiny...... minis all the shims.......chased back to the head company imagining that all would be in the bottom of his rinse tank by now or worse!!
fortunatly the guy had saved them in a fag packet..... phew. hovever i now dont know which one was off which valve. I have measured every one of the shims today and found that they are all exactly the same dimensions to within 0.002'. Does this mean ill be ok just to put back on any shim / valve?
I know there has been much talk about the useful DIY fix that Bob has used successfully, however, i would be grateful if someone could advise why the shims would need to be replaced or fixed with the DIY feeler gauge method as mine are all identical.

any ideas guys.

Thanks,

lee

PulsarLee

How have you measured them first off?
I measured them with a digital vernier. I use one of these for a living so im quite compitent at using. I checked the OD height, inside length on the plain shims, and all the same plus the cut out on the stepped shim.

any thoughts?

red reading

Sorry had to ask, in that case then pop the shims in the head and check the clearences and go from there,if you have had the valve lapped in or the seats recut they will prob need doing. You did measure fron the inside (where it would be resting on the valve top) to the top surface? also if you look at the rockers you will see which side to put the castle shim on, if you removed the rockers and put them back in a differant order that will affect the shimming too.

PulsarLee

Havent removed the rockers and just had number 4 piston valves re ground. yep i measured the inside of the shim cup to the top edge.
do ya reccon i might be lucky and just be able to put the shims in and assemble without adjustment, as the top end was very quiet before i had to strip the engine down because of the piston problem.

cheers,

Lee

red reading

In a word, no. just check you have clearence between the cam and lobe and that the rocker sits paralell to the cam, as long as you have what i have said you will be fine as the gtir engine the clearences get bigger as the engine gets hotter.

nimhbk

Well Dan thats my engine lasting a week lol
I purchased new rockers and shims and just put them in nilly Willy
Was suprised how quiet it was thou, compared to before
Never Mind my StreetKa went boom this weekend, if the gtir goes boom then thats SNAP

red reading

Well Dan thats my engine lasting a week lol
I purchased new rockers and shims and just put them in nilly Willy
Was suprised how quiet it was thou, compared to before
Never Mind my StreetKa went boom this weekend, if the gtir goes boom then thats SNAP
nick do 1000 or so miles then check yours mate as you put new cams in yours too, easy peasy to check them.