Upgrading Rear Brakes

Hey guys just wondering is it possible to upgrade the rears brakes?
Coz since i've a set of original front brakes wonder can i adapt it to the rear.
Do u think the gains is worth the hassle? Or there is just too many complications.
The what about the hand brake? Is it costly and a big hassle adapt a hydraulic actuated handbrake to it?

Btw do u guys find it impossible to lock the rear brakes when u pull the hand brake.
Damn.....

Cris

I think that Godspeed do a 300mm disc upgrade for the rear.

Dunno about calipers. You could probably make 200SX or 300ZX rears fit (with a big hammer).

G

GTI-R Kid

Hispec do a 300mm rear disc to compliment their bigger front brakes. Think it just consists of the discs and a pair of mounting brackets to move out the rear calipers.

Its not a good idea to upgrade the rears if you haven't already done the front. It can upset the balance of the car under braking causing dangerous situations.

cmng

BabyGodzillaGTi-R said:
Hey guys just wondering is it possible to upgrade the rears brakes?
Coz since i've a set of original front brakes wonder can i adapt it to the rear.
Do u think the gains is worth the hassle? Or there is just too many complications.
The what about the hand brake? Is it costly and a big hassle adapt a hydraulic actuated handbrake to it?

Btw do u guys find it impossible to lock the rear brakes when u pull the hand brake.
Damn.....

Try A32 or A33 3.0 rear disc
it is 280mm disc but caliper look similiar size.
need measure the piston size

Hey thanks guys but i think the HiSpec kit for the rears would be beyond my budget. Considering the Skyline R32 ones instead.

Hey GTi-R Kid, thanks for the input. Btw currently using Skyline R32 4pots upfront and i find them adequate so far just that i find that the car dives now as compared to last time when it squats with the standard ones.

Hey cmng u sure the A32 Ciefero should be okay?
Coz last time i drove one i just couldnt lock the damn rear brakes too via the hand brake.
:(

Hey do u think the rear Skyline brakes would be really heavy? U sure it is a direct bolt on since u tried it on your Sunny b4?
Coz i asked Joe Han, Terence and Zee have no problem with the conversion. Plus the hand brake works too and they are also cable operated. No fair they can dori dori.
Btw do u think RM400 for the rears reasonable?

A

AZ STE

I was going to do this but the braking is 70% front 30% rear so unless you fit a brake bias kit its not worth it. Unless you just want the loook of big rears.

S

Sirnixalot

well you have the greater cooling efficiency....you dont really cover anymore surface area as the Hi-Spec kits re-use the stanadard calipers. That being said i bought my 285mm rear kit for 148gbp.....

A

Anonymous

I wouldnt bother changing the rear claipers themselves. Best plan is to just change the discs. You wont see any real improvements, concentrate all your money on the fronts

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I read somewhere once that you should never put brakes on the rear of a car that were designed for the front.
If you're talking calipers and discs, you'll probably find it locks the rear end very quickly, puts you in a spin and writes your car off :shock: well maybe not that extreme, but it could happen. Front brakes do about 80% of the braking, so if you fit those brakes to the rear, they'll be trying to stop about 1000kg of car when there isn't that much weight on the rears to stop and hence they lock up.

I'd just used an upgrade that is designed for the job.
The old addage "I used it cos it was there" can sometimes cost alot more than buying new bits.
I'm not sure, but I think a hydraulic handbrake is illegal on the road, but it should be easy enough to use a line lock if you realy want to do it.

Thanks for the feedback.
Yes i agree that much of the braking bias is up towards the front.
Anyway i brought this topic up to see if it was really worth the hassle.
I do agree that assuming i can get the original fronts to the rear it can be counterproductive as it was design to produce most of the biting force.

My main reason why i'm considering a rear upgrade is because i cant seem the LOCK the rear brakes. Argh........ No hand brake turns for tarmac rallying. That is why might also consider the rear Skyline R32 as it comes with drums.
Do u guys have any problem trying to do hand brake turns on your R?
Also i'm lead to believe someone out there have actually done this conversion b4 and using hydraulic actuated handbrakes.
Plus if i do go ahead with upgrading the rears definitely going to get a brake bias proportioning valve.

Oh another thing why do u say a hydraulic actuated handbrake is illegal in UK? Shouldnt be a problem here though as i'm from Malaysia.
Bottom line atleast i'm not as mad like my friend who drives a Sunny with 6 pot Mov'it monoblock calipers(issentially a porsche design brake) up front and 4 pot Porsche Boxster S rears.........[/quote]

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
BabyGodzillaGTi-R said:
Thanks for the feedback.

Oh another thing why do u say a hydraulic actuated handbrake is illegal in UK? Shouldnt be a problem here though as i'm from Malaysia.
My mistake I missed that bit. (been along day/week/months)
I've never tried to do a hand brake turn in my car, but I haven't had a car yet that could lock the hand brake :( I think what you need to do is apply the foot brakes, this will transfer the weight off the rears, then hopefully when you apply the handbrake it might lock. You might need to practice abit tho. :wink:

G

GTI-R Kid

I've tried it (handbrake turn) and found that most times in the dry the car would only lock the one wheel with the lighter load. There was one occasion though were i employed its use to avoid a crash when a truck pulled out in front of me. Locked both rears at 70mph and left two fine 205mm wide tracks on the road behind me, and avoided the accident. :D

Never tried ther method that Fast Guy has suggested - maybe someday. :shock:

Locks both in the wet no problem though. :wink:

I thought u always pop the clutch in when doing hand brake turns on a rwd and 4wd cars or u'll screw the transmission up or over cook the center viscous coupling diff.
Anyway hand brake stunts are for naught naught moodswings hehe.
:twisted:
Oh btw how do u go about the adjust the hand brake cable. Maybe i'm blind but i cant find the tensioner.
My mistake I missed that bit. (been along day/week/months)
I've never tried to do a hand brake turn in my car, but I haven't had a car yet that could lock the hand brake I think what you need to do is apply the foot brakes, this will transfer the weight off the rears, then hopefully when you apply the handbrake it might lock. You might need to practice abit tho.
Hehe i'm getting advise from a WRC champion on weight transfer.
:D

Anyone out there tried and managed to setup and drift your R successfully?
Still cant seem to do it plus i suck big time at driving.
:cry:

Cris

BabyGodzillaGTi-R said:
Btw currently using Skyline R32 4pots upfront and i find them adequate so far just that i find that the car dives now as compared to last time when it squats with the standard ones.
BabyGodzillaGTi-R - How did you fit your R32 calipers then. I guess you've got some mounting brackets - could I ask where you get them from, I'm thinking do doing something very similar.

Cheers