upgraded synchros and selector springs??

Hello again all,
I guess this one may be more up Danny's street,
I have the quaiffe box but have broke a selector spring again I think, I can no longer gear down from 5th to 4th, and also destroyed the 3rd gear synchro (and 1st a bit!)
Are there any uprated springs, synchros, selector mechanisms etc etc??
I'm going to take my box out today.
Thanks again, Chris.

red reading

Only Becker do uprated mechs, you can do other bits to the box to make things a bit better but tbh it you are damaging the gearbox to that extent there must be some under lying issue....have you got a quick shifter?

I'll have a look an see if I can buy some! Cheers! Yes, the underlying issue is my driving style, NO MECHANICAL SYMPATHY!! I damaged it at oulton and finished it off this time! I have a short shifter in it, and the twin plate os, but I have seen the clutch fork adaptor from os that has a spring on the clutch arm to bring it back to the neutral position quicker so I'm going to order one of them too, may even get another os twin plate clutch, or at least an overhaul kit while the box is out,...... F****n expensive though, even with 15% discount!

.... I was ragging the sh*t out of it that much, the only thing I couldn't quite keep up with, and I mean he was only just pulling away over a full lap, about half the main straight per lap was a radical, an I was quicker than him on the straights!! And he only just had me on the handling too! It was awesome that I was the quickest thing on track after that! ;)

red reading

The short shifter is the issue, it makes you over throw the mechanisms, even ppg say not to use them on ther dog boxes as you can and do select the wrong gears too.....take it out and rebuild the gearbox properly.

What do they do then and how do they work? Besides making the geartsick move less to select gears? I don't know much about gearboxes to be honest, I just get them built and done by Steven Brears in Leeds.

MarkTurbo

That saved me explaining it :lol:

The gearchange on our cars isn't that positive to begin with, i've driven 2 cars with a short shifter and it just makes things feel worse in my opinion. Not to mention the extra stess you're putting on the syncro's and selector forks :?

I know a few people that race gti-r's (including myself :lol:) none of us use quick shifters ;-)

red reading

Chris I have driven proper low milage cars and they have very good positive gear changes,the quick shifters are just Heath Robinson for gtir they extend part of the gear lever linkage in the wrong area, you will also see wear on the selector forks because of this, rebuild a standard one and fit the group n support bracket and it makes them perfect.

gtirx2

I would be surprised if the dog teeth on the gears in question and possibly the selector rings are still in good shape if you have been abusing it as much as you make out.

I used to end up knackering the dog teeth on third in my teen years from abusing it lol

P

pulsarboby

haha ive also smashed a quaife 3rd gear due to a crap shortshifter on track
they make you drive more aggressively and if you miss a gear youll more than likely crunch it by getting it back in as quick as possible and that aint good

ive still got one but only use the genuine b+m shifters now, they are a lot more positive and precise

gtirx2

I did not want to comment on short shifters but mine could be classed as a short shifer but is just a modded stock one with the ball moved up a tad.

I agree the stock setup is pretty good but if i am honest i am/was (been 3 years lol) extremly happy with the way it shifts,it was improved further from using a lower fitting weighty gear knob and the group n rear metal bush mod improved it also,just left to fit an uprated front bush i got from vss and it should be done,its a very positive mecanical feel indeed.

Mixed reviews then...... Besides all agreeing they damage the box! I crunch into gears far too often, especially 3rd, wouldn't b surprised if I've damaged teeth! Been too busy at work to make time to get my box out though, there's me thinking because of the school holidays it would be quiet, I'll get it out soon though and see how bad it is,..... An then just buy some more bits!! ;)

Turns out I don't have a quick shifter! Damaged third gear and 1st..... Even though I never used first, broke 2 synchros, smashed the hub selector in 3rd.... Apparently it's not even there anymore, just like the synchros!
so I've got some gears coming from quaife, I had 2 spare gearboxes, so they're taking the good bits out of those for me, an then we'll be fine!
The problem was my twin plate os, the plates are like bananas instead of nice and flat, so not good for the clearance! Probably not helped by drag racing! But it's ok, I looked at superclutch but they never rung me back, so gone for the R2CD deluxe os clutch, still waiting for it to come from Japan though! ;)
All in all, a good track day! ;)