Unknown/unconnected item in engine bay??

Hardy172cup

Hi.
im looking to buy a Gti-R and when browsing through the images of one that I'm looking to buy I noticed something sticking up in the engine bay that is not connected to anything

Can anyone here shed any light on what this unknown connection is?

The car looks to be in good condition and relatively standard I just have no clue what the thing sticking up could be. I'm no mechanic and I have never owned an R before so I need some help and advice on what it could be.

I have circled the unknown pipe/connection in red.

Thanks for any help,
Bill.

[/URL][/IMG]

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Hard to tell. - I'd take a punt that it's part of the original boost control system; does the listing claim it's got some kind of after-market boost control?

I don't have anything there:

Hardy172cup

Thanks for your reply.
the car does not claim to have any boost control system, it claims to be an unmolested example with just a few small mods like exhaust, suspension, wheels and it does have an HKS turbo timer.

If it is the reminents of an old boost control device that does worry me because I don't want the car to have been running silly boost in the past with no other modifications to help cope with the extra boost.

Cheers,
Bill

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Depends what you call silly. They tend to run rich on boost so can cope with quite a boost increase before going pop.

Hardy172cup

My dilemma is im looking at two cars at the moment.

The first one is this one from the picture, the main selling point is that the car is an unmolested example with just a few sensible mods such as after market suspension, big air filter, exhaust system(not to noisey), 17" wheels (which are ugly) and HKS turbo timer. I really like the idea of the car being close to standard.

The second car I have my eye on looks nicer, it has 17" rays alloys, bug front mount inter cooler, after market suspension, 4pot brake kit and a few other little bits and bobs. The only thing that lets this car down in my opinion is the fact that it has an aftermarket turbo gauge and the big inter cooler, the car is now running standard boost but the current owner has fitted a new standard dash as the old one had holes were gauges had been fitted so the car has obviously had the boost turned up in the past. I'm not saying this makes the car a bad example but I like the idea of having one that's not been messed about with.

But if the first car has had the boost turned up maybe the second car would be the better example because it has the big inter cooler to cope with extra boost and previously had loads of gauges installed so the previous owner was able to keep an eye on what was going off when running extra boost.

I would just go and check both of the cars out but one is 320 miles from me and the other is 270 miles so ideally I would need to decide on one solely from the pictures and description

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Depends what you call silly. They tend to run rich on boost so can cope with quite a boost increase before going pop.
Agreed. - As long as the fuel pump can keep up, many people can run ~1bar (or more) without any other upgrades or modifications.

That's still considered to be fairly standard... and the change in suspension and wheels has probably had more of an effect on the degree of "standard" anyway.

Maybe people need to accept that a 20-year old rally car will probably have been trashed at some point. Having spent the money on appropriate mods like the intercooler and brakes may mean it's better cared-for than one that has been driven hard without any money spent on it. - That's not meant as a personal criticism of you; it's a general observation about people wanting "standard" examples... especially if they are then just going to modify them themselves; they'll probably end-up buying the extra pieces that were on the same car a couple of years ago, but taken off so that it could be sold as "standard".

I'd be tempted to buy the one with the toys already on it. - One less thing for me to buy later...

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Agreed. - As long as the fuel pump can keep up, many people can run ~1bar (or more) without any other upgrades or modifications.

That's still considered to be fairly standard... and the change in suspension and wheels has probably had more of an effect on the degree of "standard" anyway.

Maybe people need to accept that a 20-year old rally car will probably have been trashed at some point. Having spent the money on appropriate mods like the intercooler and brakes may mean it's better cared-for than one that has been driven hard without any money spent on it. - That's not meant as a personal criticism of you; it's a general observation about people wanting "standard" examples... especially if they are then just going to modify them themselves; they'll probably end-up buying the extra pieces that were on the same car a couple of years ago, but taken off so that it could be sold as "standard".

I'd be tempted to buy the one with the toys already on it. - One less thing for me to buy later...
What he says ^ ^

Hardy172cup

Thanks for the opinions, much appreciated.
i think the car with the extra little bits on such as the intercooler is a nicer looking car, also it is grey and the other is black and I quite like the grey, looks a bit different because you see so many black ones, although I do still like black.
The big brake kit is a definite bonus as I know the standard breaks are not the best.
if I bought either car I would like to put some 15" wheels on but the 17" rays on the grey one really do make the car look nice.

Thanks again for the input people.