UK Spec Radiator - Will it fit my setup?

retepetsir

I need a new radiator for my (just purchased) Pulsar. The whole car needs some work but this needs to be sorted first.

I've been offered a UK spec radiator which is double the standard rad thickness but I'm not entirely sure it'll fit with my Pulsar's pipework.

Seems like it's got a very short pipe run (with a U-bend down to the FMIC) unlike some that I've seen, and there isn't much space behind the radiator at the moment.

What do you think:

???

Will the thicker radiator come forward or go further back into the engine bay?

warringtonjack

I have an oversize alloy rad, and it pushes the fans further back towards the turbo. To be honest, you'll probably have enough room if you can get the standard rad in and out without taking the intercooler pipework off. Its the fans and the housings that will give you the problem. Could always be overcome with some slimline fans, but thats additional expense again! :doh:

P

pulsarboby

did you get it from the place i said?
if so pm me and let me know what they are quoting now

told you it would fit ok outer tanks are the same size and as vss said the extra bit is toward the front

retepetsir

Thanks pulsarboby. I just wanted to check it went forwards rather than backwards, as I've got next to no room with the U-bend in the FMIC pipework.

Could be fun trying to remove the old radiator and fit the replacement, I've not seen any guides in the service manuals but reckon I'll need to remove the FMIC pipework.

I ended up getting it from eastwood from here, posted in the original thread and not a bad price at all.

Thanks

Tim

Remove the fans, there are two self tapper screws at the top holding each fan. You can see 3 of them in your picture.

As you look at it, right hand first then left hand as you'll need to slide the left hand fan to the right to remove it.

Then the radiator should come out quite easily after that, all from the top!

dotalot

So is the standard rad on the UK car a better item than on the imports??? I presume it still wouldnt be as good as fitting a koyosport one or the likes???

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
So is the standard rad on the UK car a better item than on the imports??? I presume it still wouldnt be as good as fitting a koyosport one or the likes???
It's bigger; I'm pretty sure it's what I've got. - Whether it's better; that depends on how you're measuring it. A new radiator will likely be better than a 15 year-old one as a replacement for a 20 year-old one. It might be lighter too. But the UK one is a direct replacement, and if you have a standard car why spend the money where you don't need to?

retepetsir

If it was double the thickness I would hope it also improves the cooling capabilities. That's my plan anyway. Hopefully I'll have it fitted this weekend. :)

retepetsir

Well that's typical! The radiator was the first thing I ordered and the one thing I needed, and it's not arrived yet. I needed it before the weekend, doh!

Everything else was ordered the day after and arrived today.

Damn.

dotalot

Not exactly the difference in size I was expecting, its a minimal difference but I suppose it will have to do until i can afford an all alloy rad.

dotalot

Yeah to be honest I had to check twice because without them beside eachother I couldnt see the difference.
You would only be talking an extra centimetre in breadth.

p.s Maybe worth changing the thermostat on yours while you have it all stripped mate.