tyres for 15's

T

Toady

what tyres do you guys/gals running 15's have on? mine were 205/50/15 but not sure if they looked to baloony? :?moved to reg maintenance-skiddusmarkus

R

r5ben

ive got four brand new firestone fires hawks on some rims for sale if anyone into them ?? 195 50 15" s

oldaneal

when i was looking at new tyres 4 mine i asked the fitter about the size's and he said that the 205 size was better as the tyre stuck out over the edge of the rim so it wouldn't roll as much under cornering

hope ive explaned that bit ok

J

Jerk_Racer

I run 195/50R15 on 6.5" wheels. I had 205/50's on them previously, but they were from a previous owner that was not into performance. There is LESS sidewall flex now. Partly due to the narrower tires on the car now, but mostly due to the sidewall construction of these Yokohama ES100's. They have pretty stiff sideways in general. I plan on going to 205/50's again, but only after I get another set of wheels (15x7) just for track events. Whatever they will be, they will be more suited for the track than these ES100's I have now. :?

How do I know there is less sidewall flex? I attend a monthly gymkhana over here. Going from junk to fresh rubber turned up the wick quite a bit. I'm not sure how events similar to gymkhana in Japan are in England, but they are tire killers over here. I wouldn't want it any other way. :lol:

J

Jerk_Racer

Depends on the tire. If you check out the manufacturers detailed specs then you'll see how (for example) a 205/50R15 from one model lneup will not be the same width and overall diameter as another model. Even if they are from the same company. Plus, what width of wheels are you going with? On mine, 205/50's looked large and the 195/50's look just right. But looks are subjective.

J

Jerk_Racer

I apologize in advance for hijacking this thread. :wink:

skiddusmarkus - Well, it's hard to say. Every region seems to do it's own thing. They are run where ever they can be squeezed in. Some are run in improbably tight parking lots. I'm on a relatively small island that's about 1500km south of Tokyo. There is but one main venue for gymkhana here and I know it's different than what is done up in Mainland. Here, we use a large parking lot a local bullfighting ring (Okinawan bullfighting has two bulls fight each other that are tame as kittens with people). There is enough space for me to hit 110kph in one stretch. Bone stock power level -WOO HOO! There is another local venue, but it's a mini circuit that's used by karts so I don't really consider it. The only cars that run there are the 3 cylinder 660cc shoeboxes that might reach 100kph if thrown off a cliff.

Geez, I wish there was an actual circuit on this island. I guess I'll just run with what is available. :?