tyre wear on the inside edge

R

r5ben

my mate had a R last year and we lowered his car 60mm after that the tyres started to wear realy fast on the inside edge at the front :roll: the rear was fine ? and i think this maybe happening to my car too ??
a couple of weeks ago i lowered my car 90mm at the front alot lower that his and i didnt want this to happen to my car as ive new wheels and tyres

is there anythin i can do to put this right :roll: its the camber that needs doing right ??? :?

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
The more you lower the car the more camber affects the inside edge of your tyres...

You'll need the likes of thicker camber bolts or adjustable top mounts to adjust the camber...

R

r5ben

does anyone know hwere i can get this stuff from ?? and i gess the bolts are the cheaper option right ??

G

GAZ P

Some garages with 4 wheel lazer tracking equipement can compensate for lowered cars when adjusting wheel alignment.My R is sat 80mm (front) & 65mm (rear) lower and the front & rear track were adjusted, I've got no top mounts or camber bolts, my last set of tyres lasted 18,000 miles :) get the tracking set & you should have no probs :lol:

R

r5ben

well gaz if your cars ok at that i dont see why mine cant be ??? mines about 90mm front 70 mm rear some about the same
ill have a word with my garage see what they can do about it
anyone got a link for whiteline stuff to see how much there stuff is if all else fail :wink: s

A

Anonymous

pish off ben-der :roll:

see what powerstation have to see tomorrow! 8)

J

jasegould

Your tyre wear is being caused mainly by the tracking being out, get it reset at any half decent garage/ATS/Kwikfit. When u lower a car it affects the tracking mainly, you may be able to get away without adjusting the camber, Ive never adjusted the camber on any of my lowered cars and I have never had any uneven wear :?

Websnowbo

Aye, Jase is right. As you lower a car the steering arm's go up, which gives the effect of them pulling the back of the wheel in.

You will be able to see by standing at the front of the car as the tyre's will be poking out.

I had a little Clio 16v thing a few years ago, lowered on 15's looked fine, slapped on a set of 17's with new tyres, 8k later i had to fork out for another set of tyres because i was too lazy to sort the tracking.

LeeSmith

jasegould said:
Your tyre wear is being caused mainly by the tracking being out, get it reset at any half decent garage/ATS/Kwikfit. When u lower a car it affects the tracking mainly, you may be able to get away without adjusting the camber, Ive never adjusted the camber on any of my lowered cars and I have never had any uneven wear :?

Kwikfit??? :wink:

they put my wheels on with a compressed air gun - rounded the nuts off!
I didn't find out until i went to change the brakes about 6 months later......

Websnowbo

LeeSmith said:
Kwikfit??? :wink:

they put my wheels on with a compressed air gun - rounded the nuts off!
I didn't find out until i went to change the brakes about 6 months later......
Another satisfied customer!