tyre for q/mile?

pete-r

what sort of tyres are people using for q/mile races.i was using falken tyres that i got free with my alloy wheels the other week and had some dissapointing results,i launched the car at 5000 and it just span for about 1 and a half seconds on the line.ive got some toyo proxys in the garage which ill switch over to.are there any other cheap options i could use for max grip on q/miles?

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
pete-r said:
i was using falken tyres that i got free with my alloy wheels the other week and had some dissapointing results
:lol: :lol:

No surprises there then. Toyo Proxes are a good tyre but if they are old, the rubber could be a bit hard.

In general
Try to get some heat into your tyres before you expect big things from them as cold tyres don't grip as well.

Tyre pressures make a huge difference. For dragging, try setting them lower, 30psi or less.... but put them back to normal again before you go round your next corner :wink:

A

Anonymous

pete-r said:
what sort of tyres are people using for q/mile races.i was using falken tyres that i got free with my alloy wheels the other week and had some dissapointing results,i launched the car at 5000 and it just span for about 1 and a half seconds on the line.ive got some toyo proxys in the garage which ill switch over to.are there any other cheap options i could use for max grip on q/miles?
be careful when going for more grip as you'll only put more strain on your box :shock:

avon,dunlop and pirelli all do stickier compounds :wink: as i'm sure most manufacturers do

R

robinsongtir

I would choose a set of Nitto NT555R drag radial tyres thy are road legal and you can buy them from USA or there is the BFGoodrich radial tyres as well as the Toyo NT555Rs they are all road legal slicks very grippy tyres but quite expensive

B

beast14

anyone ever heard about 'Nangkang' tyres???

they any good??...even for normal driving??

beast14 said:
anyone ever heard about 'Nangkang' tyres???

they any good??...even for normal driving??
Yeah pretty sure that they are Yoko's budget brand.

Would imagine they are pretty average :roll:

A

AVOGTIR

last time i was at the drags, i had let the tyres down 12psi and was pulling 1.6 60" times, but suffered up top

with the modern road type construction it make no difference if u heat the tyre before hand ie burn out most tyre have silica in them and it just beads and is unless when hot............. i have found just rolling through or around the water they put down is best

race tyres are different..