Two types of rear diff?

Sunny-D

Im in the process of refurbing a rear subframe and noticed the diff is totally different to the one on the car. There are eleven fins that stick out about 1.5" near the drain plug on my diff, yet only four small fins on the new one. Does anyone know of different types of diffs?
thanks,
Dan.

Jon Olds

A related subject. Mine has LSD cast into it (as they all do, I presume), yet when I look at footage of it during a rally it is locking the inner rear wheel when braking heavily into slow turns. Any comments?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Er... if you're braking heavily, wouldn't it be due to the brakes not the diff that the wheel locks-up?
(I don't know anything about the diff - could the RA and RB have a different diff; maybe just the housing?)

Jon Olds

an lsd should resist single wheel locking and there is no feeling of anything like that. I know its off topic...

geoff pine

Whats an nme diff? :oops:
The rear diff on Tony bardy Nissan looks nothing like the standard one I'm sure his mechanic said it came from Nissan motorsport Europe( Andy did you manage to get on the podium for Tony Bardy,s presentation):lol: :lol:

Sunny-D

Ive just checked my chassis number and its 'RRFN14' which means its an RB model, yet its a UK car with electric windows and normal box. I have paper work to prove it was owned by nissan and used as a press car and also have the road test in performance car magazine.:noidea:

Last edited:

vss irvine

the difference is only in the diff rear case.

the nissan sunny gtir (european) and the rb come with this type of casing, it has extended cooling fins.

the pulsar gtir (jdm) has the shorter fins version

vss irvine

if it was a nissan press car then red could have been factory spec'd? it could be a miss match of parts. (or a ringer!)

Sunny-D

Ive just come off the phone to nissan, after giving them my chassis number they confirmed the model number, so it seems i have a UK/European spec rb :-D