twin turbo conversion for the pulsar

S

Sirnixalot

pointless...you will never need 2 turbos to make monster power numbers (600bhp+)

All the exhaust ports are basically in the same spot so they can easily feed one collector. Why add the extra weight of 2 turbos, a rediculously jumbled manifold and intercooler piping. Then there is the Air intake.....you either need to convert the car to a MAP sensor system, make a comon plenum for the both turbos to draw air through a single MAF in OR make it a blow through style MAF system.

if you want your money to bear some sort of performance fruit, buy a Garrett GT40 or an HKS GT3240 and use the money you would have spent on the other turbo, spaghetti manifold and intercooler piping and buy a proper transmission.

A

Anonymous

not a gti-r but i know of an s15 with a 2.2 sr20det running twin td06 20g

G

gotoinstant-redline

all the really big power twin turbo supras, rx7's and skylines have only got a single turbo. they take the second one out to make way for one very big turbo.

L.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The advntage of running 2 turbos, is that if you set it up right, you can eliminate lag and make it run like a very big non turbo engine. I did see a Cosworth with this conversion back in the late 80s, but never seen one since. It is alot of work, but I suppose could be worth it and the extra weight (maybe 20kg??) would be a small penalty for the wide power band you'd get. :)
The advantage the supra and skyline boys have to run a single big turbo is a larger engine to start with and potential 9000rpm redlines (skyline at least I believe) On our 2 litre engine that would translate to a lot of lag and a very narrow power band and I guess it's possible the turbo wouldn't get upto speed and reach it's full potential on our engine. (IMO anyway)

J

J-GTi-R

There was a twin-turbo 'R built in NZ (the beast, I think it was called), but that was years ago and I don;t know what happened to it.

A

Anonymous

twin turbos??

twin turbos are better suited to driveablilty. there is a kit out there for the ford sierra xr4i which cost approx 3.5 k and gives 380bhp 4wd fun!!! now my ol man owns a ********** galant vr-4 2.5 280 bhp twin turbo 4wd uk car estate, its auto an so fuckin smooth. no lag an it keeps up with my pulsar (280bhp approx) neck an neck to 140 mph then we run outta road.
yes big power cars have single turbos but do u have a magazine to read while u wait for it to boost when u floor it. a twin turbo 360+ bhp will in the right hands be faster on the roads as an a-b car than a 600+ bhp car because they are pretty undriveable, by the time it boosts u need to brake for traffic!!!!!!!

S

Sirnixalot

Re: twin turbos??

hixxy said:
galant vr-4 2.5 280 bhp twin turbo 4wd quote]

thats a V6 with 2 small turbos which arent sequential, the Galant/Legnum turbos run in parallel, one turbo is fed off of each cylinder head. Its easier to run twins on a V6 but its pointless on an inline 4 cylinder. A properly sized turbo will net you the same gains with less complexity.

The reason why the galant/legnum has no lag (it pulls like a frigging freight train from 3000rpm) is because of his high displacment and small turbo's.

I say again...not worth the complexity for the null power gains