Turbo Guideline for GTiR

Spikey

I have always had bb turbos. Till one day i was looking at other ones.
I mean if you have the money then bb every time. Even though i have got my Hands on a Greddy Td 06 25g with a 8cm housing. Greddy claim there journal bearing turbos are as good as some bb one out there. so this is what im gonna try this year. Just need to get it to Ed for Mapping. I just wanna experience it my self :)

Fusion Ed

The nice thing about journal bearings is they are harder to kill.

There are many reports here of people blowing up turbos with boost pipes coming off etc. This is almost unheard of with journal bearings.. But other than that BB all the way...

Be warned with the S14a BB turbos. Years ago saw one of these fitted on a pulsar and did less power than the stock haha.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
It span-up quicker, but due to being a smaller A/R actually flows less volume of air for the same level of boost?

iomegalinux

yes s14 turbo's are smaller than gtir oem turbo. but can push a little bit more boost. and sr20 (s14-vtc) with their variable cam seem to get the best they can from the that turbo

turbo shop (turbine tech) call that a evo8 16g or 20g (journal bearing) twin scroll setup (with twin scroll manifold ) spool quicker than their garett BB corresponding, and are way cheaper to rebuilt etc...

Last edited:

Spikey

I think my Greddy is a hybrid. hot side bb cold side journal bearing. They cleaim to be better. Im sure Ed will give his verdict once he maps my Car...

vpulsar

Having built a run a 500 bhp pulsar in my opinion I wouldn't bother, That much power totally ruins the pulsar is just can't put it down.

My new one will never go over 380 bhp which is more than enough for anyone with a road car.

Rob

Greygtir

That is just your own opinion. Let people do what they want. If u have been there done that then great. Full of negativity

pulsarmoley

I'm running the GT2560R but not sure what it was initially for? I know its an upgrade when running twins on the R34. It was running 255hp @ 0.8bar which is obviously not powerful but since having headwork done and a 3" system it went from coming on boost @ 1700rpm to 1200rpm. I'm getting it dyno'd soon to see what HP its now running and looking to get a remap with a bit more boost. If I want more power after this then I'm gonna go for the GT2871R c/w 0.64 housing.

vpulsar

That is just your own opinion. Let people do what they want. If u have been there done that then great. Full of negativity

Well dumb ass I did say it was my opinion, And having spent over 50k building mine I think I probably know a bit more about than you sunshine.

500 bhp is just for willy waving down the pub, It's pointless on a road car and I found it wasn't much better on track to be honest, Those big turbo's struggle to spool up out of the tighter corners, I actually thought the whole point of a car forum was for those of use that have learned stuff to share our wisdom, If you choose to still do what ever it's up to you I couldn't give a monkeys uncle.

The Pulsar is a fantastic point to point car if built properly, The one thing it isn't is something that can compete with the big power skylines and Evo's.

Rob

Greygtir

Your right i know absolutly nothing and i am a dumb arse :) I can only dream of a 500 horse pulsar.

Any way. Regarding turbos, whos running anything from the precision range.

Fusion Ed

I really don't think as 500bhp as a big issue any more. A GTX3071 will nearly do that. They are also fine at 'only' 400hp. The real problem with getting nearer 500hp is the stock management really has absolute no room for error at these power levels. With the transmission holding in one piece however, except for the wet and if you have bad tyres, pulsars have no problem at all putting 500hp down on the road.

MarkTurbo

Having built a run a 500 bhp pulsar in my opinion I wouldn't bother, That much power totally ruins the pulsar is just can't put it down.

My new one will never go over 380 bhp which is more than enough for anyone with a road car.
You mean you couldn't drive it :lol:

I do agree that for a road car 380-400bhp is plenty and if i hadn't of started racing mine thats where i would have kept it ;-) Once you get beyond that things get expensive and you really need to chuck a few grand at a gearbox. If everything works out mine will hopefully be not far off your old car but with more torque and spool like a standard car, as Ed says unless its wet putting down that sort of power shouldn't be a problem!

vpulsar

except for the wet and if you have bad tyres, pulsars have no problem at all putting 500hp down on the road.

Sorry Ed I have to disagree mate I had very expensive tires fitted to my car as I do with every car I own, I never fit cheap rubbish. My car would light all four wheels up even in the dry if I put my foot down hard in 2nd or 3rd gear, It did it a few times and once when I was teaching a DB9 some manners.

I'm not saying the Pulsar can't handle the power because it can if built correctly, I used a Motec ECU in mine so I had no management issues apart from dodgy cold start sometimes, In the wet it was practically undrivable with out very gentle use of the throttle.

My main issue with a 500 bhp pulsar is that you're always chasing your tail trying to keep the thing together, I had my quaife rebuilt twice more for peace of mind than anything, Keeping all the temperatures healthy is also a big worry, Maybe it's worth the hassle for a track or drag car if you can live with the stress of worrying about it all the time lol, But for a road car I see 400 bhp as the absolute maximum if you want peace of mind and is plenty fast enough in my humble opinion, Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

I do think however that my boost did come in very aggressively and could of probably been mapped a bit more user friendly!

Rob

Fusion Ed

Both Dan's 500+ cars here have so far been (touch wood) faultless, both been on several track days and used often on the roads. They are totally fine to drive on the road, I cant say more than that really, as there is nothing else to report. I have data logs showing temp too. Even on the track both cars are fine. Even with 50deg intake temps worse case on 35deg air temps here recently Red reading dan's ECU only needed to pull out 0.5deg of timing running full power, and coolant temps were normal.

I do totally understand your point, just feel that things have moved forward, and 500hp really isn't a problem if done right like it used to be. I mean still using stock rods too on one of those, and for over two years now. I'll upload some data when i get a chance to show what I mean.

vpulsar

I do totally understand your point, just feel that things have moved forward, and 500hp really isn't a problem if done right like it used to be. I mean still using stock rods too on one of those, and for over two years now. I'll upload some data when i get a chance to show what I mean.

To be totally honest I just don't see the point, Mine never gave any issues on temps or anything else but it was built as you say properly but that properly was very expensive indeed, I do think that some of the people talking about wanting 500 bhp don't really understand just what's involved in building such a car, You can get 500 bhp out of a skyline or supra so much easier than you can a pulsar.

Who knows I might find 350 bhp tame after my last car and go down that route myself lol, But I doubt it!

I still think my old Pulsar was at it's best at just over 300 bhp, The trouble with having so much power is you can't just enjoy stamping your right foot down, You really have to think about it, With 300 bhp you can stamp your foot down mid corner with 500 bhp I wouldn't unless you have a death wish lol, I actually remember having some issue or other which meant I could only run 1 bar instead of the normal 1.9 full 519 bhp and it was actually more fun being able to use full throttle rather than feathering it all the time trying to control the beast.

Rob