Turbo going......

Celica2pulsar

Hi, I've had smoke from my exhaust for about a week so I got it checked out and the mechanic said my turbo's on the way out. so I was thinking would I cause any other problems if I keep on driving it until the turbo breaksdown completly??

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Smoke on idle?
Smoke when you're on boost? (Is it still boosting ok?)
Oily (blue) smoke?
Sooty (black) smoke?
Steamy (white) smoke?

This time of year I get plenty of condensation blowing out of my pipes until the exhaust is good and hot. - Nothing to worry about.
I hope that's all your seeing; it seems like a common fault people report coming into winter before they realise it's just the result of a large bore exhaust.

If the turbo has shat its self, then there's the chance of doing damage with bits of it getting into your engine through the intakes. - That's worst case scenario because generally it's the (journal) bearing that goes, and it just leaks oil past it into the turbo... which has no long-term effect (although the plugs might foul).

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Hi, I've had smoke from my exhaust for about a week so I got it checked out and the mechanic said my turbo's on the way out. so I was thinking would I cause any other problems if I keep on driving it until the turbo breaksdown completly??
Worst case scenario yes. If the compressor impacted the housing and bits broke off and went through the engine it could cause some damage. You'd be very unlucky if that happened but it's a possibility.
Another option that happened to me on another car is that the bearing fails big style, oil leaks out of the housing and catches fire.:shock:

Trip

debris from turbo on the inlet side will be probably trapped in the intercooler.

Gaz gtiR

also an idea to check sump as i still have to do this yet to make sure nothing has gone threw the oil return. iv checked my intercooler & found no debree in there?? but its gone sumwhere as this is what happend to mine!! :(

& also lost the rear exhaust wheel. but im hoping a piston ring hasnt let go & gone threw the manifold?? i dont think it has coz there was no oil substance on the exhaust ports on the head when i took the manifold off!! only 1 way to find out compresion check wen ive got sum time. :/