tubular manifolds?????

coxie

what kind of gains in bhp and torque do you get with tubular manifolds. :?:

do eqaul length manifolds increase power ive been advised they gain lots more torque but strangle bhp.:?:

what constitutes an eqaul length manifold....all headers the same length from the head to the collector on the turbo flange.
:?:
i have an ss autochrome manifold and have been told that is eqaul length and when i measured each port it is. 8)

thanks for the answers in advance. 8)

A

antilag

well that manifold ent great because of the collector but im using it so it will do :wink: its will increase the cars power but buy how much wud depend on wat poer u run ect

also u no to fit the manifold and elbo u bought u will have to rotate the mongoose round about 30 degrees to make it fit or do u plan on joining the two from where they r?

coxie

collector the one i have looks well ,made lots of space and no airflow interuptions etc. :twisted:

i run 1.4 bar on hybrid turbo 8)

when the manifold and elbow are fitted i am going to fabricate a new down pipe that will connect under the car near the centre silencer :wink: i think i will anyway :roll:

A

antilag

yeh cos the mongoose or standard one points to the left in a way that u wont b able so join to your elbo with out adding an s shaped pipe and reducing flow

u have the same manifold as me mat the collector is totally $hite u need all for flowing into 1 in a perfect world but no1 shoots in from the side aimed at the side of the manifold not into the turbo

A

antilag

also i think u might find that the mongoose flange on the elbo will b aimed directly over that 2" black support bar thing at the front of the car?

coxie

it is like that but i'm sure there will be a way round it.if not i'll make my own turbo elbow. :roll: :twisted:

when you say no 1 is shooting at the side the pipe on mine is actually facing at a 45 degree angle to the header its self.the part of the pipe on top is cut so its welded but the back half is actually facing down as is the wall inside. :? :D

anyway there must be some advantage over the standard one as its supposed to be a free flowing eqaul length tubular manifold. :?:

P

paulrandy

and despite what certain people say about them, ive managed 2k miles at 1.2bar and no signs of cracking yet.

A

antilag

yeh i dnt think mine will crack anytime soon due to simple design and 3mm piping

and my wastegate added onto it

coxie

paulrandy/antilag...........what have you done /fabricated for your down pipes.have you any pictures

A

antilag

i made a 3" downpipe mate it was a rite pain in the arse and now i gota do it again for edd :cry: lol

P

paulrandy

Yeah i made my own 3" dump pipe too and there's no way im ever gonna do another one!

Si..

its mainly the older it gets that they start to crack from hairlines to bad cracks, 3 things i've learned that can stop this is good brackets to support the weight of the turbo and if you have one the external waste gate, also make sure the down pipe cant sway about , and one other good idea is to seperate the pipes between each port rather than have one plate with them all welded on to it. :wink:

S

Sirnixalot

Si.. said:
its mainly the older it gets that they start to crack from hairlines to bad cracks
I agree

Si.. said:
good brackets to support the weight of the turbo
This is a double edged sword. The brackets cannot expand at the same rate as the manifold. That in itself will put stress on the manifold. What is in question is which stress will do damage quicker, the stress of the bracket or the stress of the turbo's weight? The proper way to go about this is to build the manifold with the proper materials to support the weight.

Si.. said:
also make sure the down pipe cant sway about
I agree but do not have it mounted ridgidly. Always have a flex joint in the down pipe.

Si.. said:
and one other good idea is to seperate the pipes between each port rather than have one plate with them all welded on to it. :wink:
I agree however if you do not get the manifold with these done already you may have to get the flange resurfaced. The runners may have residual tension from the welding which can cause them to make the head flange uneven once free. Skim the flange too much and you will reduce its life span.

coxie

what material did you use for the dump pipe/downpipes?

would it be possible to use the standard elbow and make a new downpipe?
would that have a major effect on performance?

Si..

Coxie said:
what material did you use for the dump pipe/downpipes?

would it be possible to use the standard elbow and make a new downpipe?
would that have a major effect on performance?

i've got the std elbow pipe coming directly off my blower with a modded mongoose front pipe. it wont have a major effect on performance but i'd imagine it has some effect, not major tho.

youngsyp

I would disagree with that. The standard elbow is very restrictive. It looks like the diameter of the exit is about 2". The exhaust gas would be restricted before it even gets to the downpipe ? Of course you will see gains by putting an aftermarket exhaust on but, these will come from the bigger than factory pipe, unrestricted boxes and better pipe design.
You should change the elbow as soon as possible. Once you do, you will see a big improvement in gas flow. So, quicker spool up, the lot :wink: