Track rod end removal

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Am I missing something? I take it there's a lock nut on the end of it that should be fairly easy to remove then the whole lot just unscrews? Mine is absolutely solid and ain't going anywhere.
I'm trying to change my steering rack boot. Anyone else had this problem. Any ideas other than extra leverage cos I ain't got anything that willl go over my spanner. :(
I might end up visiting the garage around the corner at this rate :evil:

O

Odin

yeah it should just unscrew mate did you soke in wd40 over night
as I find this allways helps with these sort of thing's. :wink:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I had a quick word with Power Station and they say it's not uncommon for them to sieze solid and said I'd need to get oxyocetelene on it. :? Garage here I come. :(

The lock nut should only be about 34lb/ft so it should have come off very easily. :evil:

O

Olly

Oil stilsons and the mother of all adjustable spanners (the big one) works for me at work and 2 post ramp 8) when you got a seizure

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Unfortunately my longest spanner is only about 12" maybe and I didn't have anything that would fit over the end of it to add extra leverage.
They only charged me £15, so I'm happy with that. :D

:idea: Might be worth investing in a set of crows feet, as long as you can use them inline as well as 90degs. :wink:

Keira

why dont you try shouting

BY THE POWER OF GREYSKULL

I HAVE THE POWER

and see if that works :lol:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I did try "Arghhhhhhhh, come on you fecking bastid moooooooooove!!!" but that didn't work :(

geetee

Next time you see a building site - slip them a fiver for a bit of scaffold pole :)

12 feet of scaffold and a strong enough socket / rachet will shift pretty much anything. Although it's worth seeing if your budget will stretch to a set of flank drive sockets otherwise you generally end up with a rounded off nut / bolt.

Alternatively - Halfords do a 3 foot strong arm (think they call it a Breaker) with a 1/2" drive for about £16 - probably cheaper elsewhere.

You know it makes sense - next time it'll be Sunday afternoon when you really need to get the job done to get to work on Monday :x

Cheers
GeeTee

geetee

Oh... and it's worth keeping a nut splitter handy for the ones that are totally and utterly stuck. They only cost a few quid - but chances are you won't know where the feck it is when you need it (once every 2 years!) :)

Cheers
GeeTee

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
geetee said:
Next time you see a building site - slip them a fiver for a bit of scaffold pole :)

12 feet of scaffold and a strong enough socket / rachet will shift pretty much anything. Although it's worth seeing if your budget will stretch to a set of flank drive sockets otherwise you generally end up with a rounded off nut / bolt.

Alternatively - Halfords do a 3 foot strong arm (think they call it a Breaker) with a 1/2" drive for about £16 - probably cheaper elsewhere.

GeeTee
All that for a nut tightened to 34lb/ft. :shock: lol

Problem is, you can't get a socket on the lock nut, only a spanner. So I guess it's scaffolding for me. :p

geetee

Hmm.... but you don't know if the nut that 'should' have been put on to 34lb/ft (which is actually s0d all ) - was put on by a hyperactive, drug crazed, bionic Gorilla with a Concorde engine powered air gun. :shock:

When you start using a torque wrench you suddenly realise that you have been overtightening EVERYTHING!

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
geetee said:
When you start using a torque wrench you suddenly realise that you have been overtightening EVERYTHING!

Cheers
GeeTee 8)
I always use one, which is why I expected it to move without any effort, cos like you said 34lb/ft is sod all (well under 5 white knuckles :wink: ). My driveshaft nut, well over 150lb/ft came off easier. :?

geetee

Perhaps you've fallen into the age old trap of it being a reverse thread :lol:

Only kidding - I don't know!

Cheers
GeeTee