top rad hose hot and bottom hose cold

tonygtir

Well.
Hopefully its only water pump now and not headgaskit i took car down the road give it abit of throttle and the heat turned cold straight away i got home and checked for leaks etc pipes were pressurised to much i bled the system took ot down the roaf again heat came back into the car but top rad hose was hot and bottom hose was cold i change thermostat but no difference then i run it without it and pipe got a we bit warmer but not much but still to much pressure in pipes. All i can think now is water pump

Jon Olds

Bled it?
If there is a significant temp diff top hose to bottom hose there is no flow through the radiator. For the stat to open the water level in the system needs to be high enough.
I'm not pretending I have the answer to your questions, as I have asked a fair few questions about the gtir cooling system design in another thread and no one has responded with any clarifications, or even discussion
Jon

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
It sounds logical as you've eliminated the thermostat, our cars don't tend to have a problem with air locks and you're getting no flow through the radiator. Could it be a physical blockage rather than an air lock? Just guessing

Dangerous Dave

How did you bled it? Did you use the bled screw or did you fill it up by the rad? And was your heaters on full when bleeding it?

i can't see it been your pump you would hear the pump if it was fooked have a look at the water pump pulley an see if you can move it side to side (engine to wing) if it moves a lot it's fucked.

Last edited:

tonygtir

Yeah running standard rad. Ive just notice that the water pulley isnt moving at all its not seized as i can move it with my hand so at least i know the reason why there is no water flow. I had to replace the belt cus it came off but ive no power steering either. Does any1 have any idea whats up

luke s

Is there enough tension on the belt, has the belt got any oil on it? If you think it has you could use a little chalk dust to dry it , you say you can rotate the pulley is it difficult to turn?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Do you have both belts fitted?

Power steering if not the belt could be the pump gone or low fluid. If the fluid is low, top it up and check again in a while, pump might be leaking.

Check the ps pump and alternator mountings are tight so they don't move and let the belt come off.

tonygtir

In fairness belt could do with being tighter. Water pulley could move easily. Both belts are fitted. Fluid is full

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
Check the crank pulley has not separated as that may have thrown the belt in the beginning, they are two piece. Held together with rubber and it can be difficult to tell if it is failing.

Jon Olds

The 2 piece crank pulley is an excellent suggestion, many a shogun/pajero/delica has overheated because of this
Jon

BMCC

Honda Preludes are bad for the crank separating like this. If you can get the car on stands/ramps and look at the pulley from below you will see the slight wobble in the pulley caused by the rubber/metal separation even at idle. When I got it off the Prelude it did not take much effort at all to separate the pullies. I hate to think the damage it would have caused if it separated at speed.