took the head of today

Carlb

i was running 1.2 at the time been like it for about 12 months and now this happened :oops: :(

i take it it was under fueling?

azboy

ive got a set of standard pistons in perfect condition if ur interested m8 only took them out to replace them with forged ones nothing at all wrong with them.

sypher

doesn't look like under fuelling as no det' evident on piston crowns, just looks like high cylinder pressures / physical fracture have broke the weak part of the crown away.

Are the ring lands under the crown also cracked / broke away?

Stu..

Carlb

well thats as far as i got today but i will check tomorow and put some pics up also there is no obvious damage to the head

thanks azboy but i will be going forged myself.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Has it fractured or melted? Can't quite tell from that picture.
If it was a fracture, I'd have expected to see alot more damage as the bit rattled around the cylinder and then took the turbo out on it's way through :shock:

(I took the head off my monty to do the gasket once and found a piston melted like the damage above, 2 of the others were shagged too, but it ran fine :lol: )

Carlb

it looks to be melted. i had a good look at the head and there is no damage to it or the piston (appart from the gap) i took the sump off aswell today and found that all the oil jets (the ones that spray the bottom of the piston i think)are broken not quite sure how this has happened? :? here is a picture not a very good one but it shows some of the bits :( :(

arent the oil jets like £40 a piece? :shock:

P

paulw

i found one of those oil jets in my sump when i started to take my engine apart the other week