timing - how is it adjusted?

nex

there is always talk about the ecu retarding/advancing and adjusting timing, also shown via concult on ecutalk/datascan, but how does it do this as the spark system is driven by a dizzy cap?crank speed, cam speed and thus rotor and dizzy speed are all directly related, so how does the ecu adjust the timing? just curious as I dont get it :doh:

sorry if its a daft question.

nex

I realise that, however during a consult session the timint will change and people will often say its th ecu changing it...........thats what i dont get... :)

olliecast

I realise that, however during a consult session the timint will change and people will often say its th ecu changing it...........thats what i dont get... :)
you have an ignition timing map on your ecu which corrisponds to rpm / engine loading. It changes across the rev range as the more load the engine is under the less ignition advance it`ll run (to prevent det)

steve963

can it do this because the rotor arm contact is 'wide' if you know what i mean, I guess it probably covers about 20degrees as its about 1cm wide

so the spark can jump from the front edge of the rotor arm or the back end

Fusion Ed

1deg cam = 2 deg crank.

The distributor is two things, a cam sensor and a HT distributor, and yes because the rotor arm is wide it can fire at any given point to advance or retard the timing :)

Ed