Timing Help

GTI-R Nath

I was trying to set my timing using my consult and laptop, since it was saying my timing was at 14 at idle.

my problem is my car used to idle at 950 RPM when hot, but as soon as i turned distributor to adjust the timing it went up to 1200 RPM at idle, and now i cant get idle to go back down,

iv tried turning distributor to all different positions but makes no difference

anyone got any idea what iv done cheers

bensmith907

did you adjust it in base timing mode i.e. tps disconnected, engine off, engine on, rev twice? also where does consult get its angle reading from? is it the distributor?

Last edited:

williams

you need to use a timing light aswell, the consult shows what timing the ecu is running, not what u have the dizzy set at.

GTI-R Nath

Yeah i put it in base timing mode, Ill get a timing light and do it that way then, but still need to figure out why my revs have gone high cant do the base timeing if its idleing at over 1200 RPM

williams

prob because ur timing is now out. get ur mate to sit in the car, hold the hand brake on and slip the clutch to drop the revs. or use the timing light to set the dizzy timing to roughly what it is showing at 1200rpm on the consult.

GTI-R Nath

Think i found the rev problem, it was throttle cabble that was sticking, i unbolted it from the bracket and cars idling at 900 now,