timing chain

vss irvine

you'll need to remove the cams any way to get to the head bolts.

make sure you get the timing chain marked up with the marks on the cam pulleys. (use tipex)

then undo the bolts that hold the pulleys to the cams. you'll have to lift out the pulleys as the dont fit in the gap when you left the head off.

try to keep tension on the chain to stop it dropping off the crank pulley when you remove the head.

the chain tensioner is at the rear of the head., you undo it with 2x10mm nuts.

JasonR

How do i get the cam pulleys bolts off without them moving? when i put a spanner on them and try to undo them the pulleys just move with the bolt. cheers Jay.

P

pulsarboby

if you look toward the front of the cam youll see a hex bit on it where you can fit a spanner to hold it steady but you dont have to remove the sprockets just undo the tensioner and remove chain off front of sprocket and lift the cam out with sprocket attached.

JasonR

if you look toward the front of the cam youll see a hex bit on it where you can fit a spanner to hold it steady but you dont have to remove the sprockets just undo the tensioner and remove chain off front of sprocket and lift the cam out with sprocket attached.
ok cool thanks for the help i think i will leave the sprokets on sounds easyer:thumbsup: cheers.

vss irvine

just thought it would be easier for you , as the tensioner isnt exactly easy to get to if you still have the belts on.

but i, sure you'll find the best way for yourself

JasonR

just thought it would be easier for you , as the tensioner isnt exactly easy to get to if you still have the belts on.

but i, sure you'll find the best way for yourself
yeah i know what you mean about about the tensioner its a pain in the ass to get a socket:evil: . im still trying to get the exaust manifold off at the moment thats holding me up another pain in the ass lol. cheers for all the help.

JasonR

when i removed the timing chain i put makrs on both sprockets and on the chain, can i just put the chain back in this position and it will still be the correct timing? or do i need to put number 1 piston to TDC then use the marks on the sprokets to get the correct timing? cheers Jay.

Last edited:

JasonR

when i removed the timing chain from the cams and took the head off i droped the chain is there any chance that the chain could of skipped a tooth or come of crank pully?cheers

JasonR

Right sorry guys back with another question lol. today i was out trying to get the timing sorted but when i went to line up the mark on the crank pully 2nd from the rear to get T.D.C number 1 piston was at the bottom is there somthing iv done wrong or has my crank pully been put back on wrong in the past? any help would be great cheers.

Last edited: