timing again!!

Fire & skill

Vintage member
just thought i'd post this: i think when my car was imported the timing was retarded, so im looking to have it set back to 20 deg.

simple aint it?

so why have i just phoned 16 garages and not one of them has the balls to do it :? i even said i had the guide to do it. nope they wont touch it 'its controlled off the ecu' was what most said. obviously i mentioned that once the TPS sensor is disconnected it can be adjusted at the dizzy.

im not a mechanic - but is it an easy job to do? if it is i'll just go and buy a timing light

nismoboy

if u dont know what your doing dont touch it. Are there any local tuners nearby? dave at awd is the man u need.

Fire & skill

Vintage member
nismoboy said:
if u dont know what your doing dont touch it. Are there any local tuners nearby? dave at awd is the man u need.
most are through the west: the garage. greer motorsport. awd are about 65 miles away. dastek are close but keithg had a hell of a time with them. wallace performance in Aberdeen are supposedly good as well but they are 130 miles away. ive got no one local :cry: :cry:

nismoboy

Fire & skill said:
i take it there wont be a mark left from where the dizzy used to be? like where the bolt was tightened up

i doubt it, does it still drive ok? it should do it will just be a little slower than a normal pulsar, just drive the 60 odd miles to a decent tuner and get it done properly.

nismoboy

i just adjusted my dizzy till it ran fine, i marked where it was the advanved/retarded it till it ran fine and its still on the same mark today and ive had it set up at various companies so it must be right.

Fire & skill

Vintage member
nismoboy said:
i just adjusted my dizzy till it ran fine, i marked where it was the advanved/retarded it till it ran fine and its still on the same mark today and ive had it set up at various companies so it must be right.
you jammy sodd :lol:

the reason i want my timing advanced is we have a rr day coming up so obviously im trying to squeeze as much power out of the R as poss :lol:

no point putting a bottle of cvl turbo in if it aint gonna burn it properly either. i reckon am losing a good 20bhp due to the timing

Swampy

Hi Rich, Is the car giving you problems, if not leave well alone bud, the car was timed up spot on by RC developments.

I would,nt let the timing mark/alignment marks on the dizzy put you off.

Thats only my opinion as it was spot on when i had it, unless somethings changed since then.

Let me know what power you get at the R/R day :wink:

Cheers Les.

Fire & skill

Vintage member
Swampy said:
Hi Rich, Is the car giving you problems, if not leave well alone bud, the car was timed up spot on by RC developments.

I would,nt let the timing mark/alignment marks on the dizzy put you off.

Thats only my opinion as it was spot on when i had it, unless somethings changed since then.

Let me know what power you get at the R/R day :wink:

Cheers Les.
i'll let you know mate :D

i just think im overfuelling a bit - get a bit of black smoke from time to time when im driving slow around town

ram5ay

Fire & skill said:
im not a mechanic - but is it an easy job to do? if it is i'll just go and buy a timing light
It's easy to do, I'll do it / give you a hand if you want.

Since your car is tweeked up a bit/running good boost, you might be best to get it set up on a RR tho, you dont want to advance it too far and find it dets on a hot day or with bad fuel (although you can allways mark it for 2 settings: one safe, and one optimum).

Are you running a SAFC2?