Thumping very loud

Daygo

Hey guys, new to the forum.. having a major issue that i cant seem to know the problem to so far.. my front drivers engine mount is split and guessing the problem started due to this issue.. the engine has been bumping around for probably a month of driving it carefully.. one night driving home their was no noise like a bang but was going around 60ks when it started to thump continuesly.. around 2 thumps per second.. i had to slow down and pullover.. couldnt see anything broken.. the drive home was a nightmare.. thought definatly something was going to give way or blow up.. as the car increased speed the thump would get louder.. very loud!! The best gear for me to get it home with minimal thump was in 3rd gear.. ive ordered some poly bushes from uk but not sure if that will fix the problem.. small engine bay so it could fix it but i think ive caused additional damage.. thanks for reading!!peace

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Any chance it's your exhaust smacking the underside of the car? - I've got a full stainless 2.5" system, and when it gets hot and I'm pushing hard it starts banging.

Scared the crap out of me the first time it did it, but now that I know what it is it's easier to ignore.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Now that I think about it; check the wheel bearings for play too. - It could be something really stupid like a hub nut has worked loose, and that's the sound of you wheel etc wobbling on the shaft.

(That one happened to me too, so I bought a socket big enough for the hub nut then stood on my breaker bar; mischief managed.)

Daygo

Hey thanks dude.. it was the wheel nuts not being tight enough.. i had the rims off to get sprayed and hadnt tightened them properly. Now i gotta check for structural damage lol.. it had been smashing like crazy. Had to get it home man lol