thermostat on mocal oil coolers???

sadsy

Hi ive got an aftermarket mocal oil cooler fitted, front mounted, the pipes go over the top n to the oil cooler housing. what i need to know off you guys is, does the thermostat open up when the engine oil is HOT or is it open UNTIL it gets hot then shuts off to cool the oil??? The reason im asking is because ive changed my oil and cooler housing assembly (cos i broke it lol) And when ive come to fill the oil back up (silk PRO S10w/50) i put in at least 3.7ltrs, ran the R up to just above working temp (standstill) then turned the R off til its cool, dipped it and its at perfect level? what im trying to figure out is if the oil cooler has drained or kept the old oil in the system?? IVE been searching for bout 2 weeks now with no look so need some R brain power. We all love a good oil post!! thanks:der:

Shaun

Hi mate,a thermostatic sandwich plate is open a small amount permenantly so that there is no cold oil in the system at any point,then as the oil temp rises the stat opens more.

sadsy

cheers, so the oil may have drained out of the mocal then? i just expected to be putting more than 3.7ltrs!

Shaun

Depends where it's fitted mate,most front mounted oilcoolers will still have a certain amount of the old oil in them as there fitted as low as the sump so wont drain,to be honest they dont hold massive amount as their designed to cool the oil as it flows,the hoses hold more and with you removing the sandwich plate for a time i would have said you had drained the majority.

sadsy

ok thanks, its mounted where the n/s horn used to be on the underside of the front panel. The dipstick is right on the max line, ive ran it up twice now and it hasnt budged. so it must be right lol! these 'R's will make me go grey!! at least ive got some spare 'gold' oil! cheers.