thermal gasket intake

davey red.r

hi,has anyone got a piccy of a thermal intake gasket for the gtir?
as ive bought one,and believe its incorrect, doesnt look the right shape to me:?

thanks

davey

warringtonjack

is that your own piccy?
how long a job is this?
might give it a shot when ive some free time.

davey
Depends if the engine is in the car or not!!! :lol: I put the gasket on my spare engine as it was waiting to go in. Its one of Mr Nismo's. Cant fault it to be fair. As far as putting it on goes, its just about taking the plenum off, and putting it back again. However long that would normally take you, others will probably have a better guide than me on time taken if engine is insitu. Oh, and I guess the time taken is directly proportional to the rate of stella consumption. ;)

Last edited:

nitrosgti-r

its a pain in the ass. As you need to either get your hands right under the plenium to get the bolts off, and be carefully not to drop them when they do come off. Or, the other way, is to take the top of the plenium first, as these bolts are easier to get too, and then get the manifold bolts off. I would loosen the drivers side (and other side) engine mount too so you can raise or lower the car to get too the bolts better?

Just a few selections of advice to use them at you peril.

Open to a roasting now from other members following my time taken to HELP others........

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

I did mine in situ last week, Theres only about 7 nuts holding it on, I used a 13mm ratchet spanner to get to the back nuts (the difficult back bolts) by going through the gap between the throttle bodie chambers, was tight but with a good ratchet spanner, no probs. Be carefull though, as i couldn't get a torq spanner on it i cracked the throttle bodies, twice. The top left nut on the throttle bodies next to the p/steering tank is the one that gave me grief, There is a recess around where the nut sits and this is a weak point, obviously when you chuck a 3mm (minimum) gasket in there the faces won't meet and the gap makes that left hand nut a weak point. BE CAREFUL.

davey red.r

I did mine in situ last week, Theres only about 7 nuts holding it on, I used a 13mm ratchet spanner to get to the back nuts (the difficult back bolts) by going through the gap between the throttle bodie chambers, was tight but with a good ratchet spanner, no probs. Be carefull though, as i couldn't get a torq spanner on it i cracked the throttle bodies, twice. The top left nut on the throttle bodies next to the p/steering tank is the one that gave me grief, There is a recess around where the nut sits and this is a weak point, obviously when you chuck a 3mm (minimum) gasket in there the faces won't meet and the gap makes that left hand nut a weak point. BE CAREFUL.
cheers for that mate, i will take that on board;-)

Radleigh

its a pain in the ass. As you need to either get your hands right under the plenium to get the bolts off, and be carefully not to drop them when they do come off. Or, the other way, is to take the top of the plenium first, as these bolts are easier to get too, and then get the manifold bolts off. I would loosen the drivers side (and other side) engine mount too so you can raise or lower the car to get too the bolts better?

Just a few selections of advice to use them at you peril.

Open to a roasting now from other members following my time taken to HELP others........
No roasting from me, I jack the drivers side of the engine up to get to the bolts, takes minutes if you know what your doing!

Then drop it back down level, and do the rest.:thumbsup:

davey red.r

Id say about an hour yeah, Do you not know someone to help you, Paul B maybe?
stevey ferguson does most of the work on my r for the past 4 yr, hes raced them for years,
a sound lad that loves them,so thats half the battle,
a bit pricey, but hes prob one of the best r mechanics money can buy.

cheers

davey;-)

vss irvine

no offence to the people that have already posted in this thread, but this is NOT a 1 hour job.
ive removed and refitted enough manifolds to be able to speak from experience.

i would budget for 2-3 hours davey

davey red.r

martin my plan was to get this put on with this white powder coated plenum,as its in that area,when i told steve his face dropped,
so i knew it wasnt that good,
he said tbh dave, its an all day job the plenum and gasket, and i trust him when he said that like yourself he has done loads best done when the engine is out he suggested,, so he can get to the pipes at back etc,
so probably just put this on hold until then,
im hoping with the quaife, forged engine, and the giken, this will be later rather than sooner,
but who knows with these things:doh::lol:

davey;-)

Last edited:

vss irvine

it is alot easier when out, and it will be an all day job if your replacing the plenum aswell.

as the time is taken removing and refitting the hoses and sensors etc

plus it lets you get to all the water hoses down the back to replace those aswell while your in there!

Radleigh

no offence to the people that have already posted in this thread, but this is NOT a 1 hour job.
ive removed and refitted enough manifolds to be able to speak from experience.

i would budget for 2-3 hours davey

I was only guessing an hour, as I was actually doing more jobs on the car, and what seemed an hours work on the inlet :oops:

I've gotta take it off soon anyway, I'll time myself :lol: