Tappet Rattle!!!

Shaun

:D Hi guy's,i've got a noise on my 'R' and it's driving me mad :twisted: :twisted: :!: Its a loud ticking noise :!: (no its not an injector)Sounds like a badly adjusted tappet.It only started about a thousand miles after i bought the car,so i thought it just needed an oil change :!: So thats what i did and i used an oe nissan filter and 10/60 Millers CFS :!: ,but that didnt cure it :!: The guy that i bought it off used 5/30 fully synthetic and it was quiet up to that point :!: I don't want to change from using Millers as its said to be the best and i also have 16.5 litres of it left :!: :roll: Any ideas :?:

Shaun

:D Its all the time :!: But seems worse on tick over when the engine is hot :!: You can hardly hear it on a cold startup :!:

MarkTurbo

Shaun said:
:D Its all the time :!: But seems worse on tick over when the engine is hot :!: You can hardly hear it on a cold startup :!:
Sounds like the tappets need re-shimming :wink: The noise is worse when its hot cos the oil is thinner.

Mine is the same. I'm gonna try and get it sorted in the the next few weeks.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Definately tappets? A broken piston ring is supposed to make a ticking noise, but I've never had one to confirm it with. :?

Shaun

:D Cheers guy's i suspected as much :!: I think i'll leave it as it is until i can raise some dollar and have some hks cams fitted(save money that way)than having the standard cams re-shimmed :!:

celm

i thought i had tappets problem till i put castro syntex 5w50 and now shes quiter then my wifes 97 1.6L nissan sentra

Shaun

:D I was thinking about using an oil conditioner,i placed another thread in one of the other categrees but not much responce :!: Any thoughts on this idea :!: