Suspension help needed

Q

QuietScooby

Hi there

Currently running Tein coilovers on my car and the ride is way too harsh for my liking. Im wondering if you guys have any info on any shocks which are still available for the RNN14. I have searched for a couple of days now and havent come up with much at all, only coilover kits.

My last resort would be a set of standard shocks and i cant wait to find out how much they are from Nissan...if they still do them!

Thanks

Ian

Animaldaz

Other then coilovers aftermarket suspension is hard to come by, they come up for sale second hand occasionally but there are always people after it so they dont stay for sale for long. GAB,Nismo and uprated KYB's are the main ones, there is also a Koni insert but these are becoming hard to find and are nearly as much as full coilovers.
Most people say that Teins are the easiest coilover to live with, im presuming you have the super streets? Have you tried adjusting them, its common for people to set them too low because they like the look but this will be detrimental to the ride and handling of your car.
I believe you can still buy standard dampers from Nissan (also a KYB) Iirc @ about £116 each!

Kev@Apex

You could always just change the springs, thats the advanatge of coilovers.

Buy some light springs (@ around £20 each) and fit them to your coilovers. There should be enough damping adjustment to make this work ok, and is the cheapest option as long as your tein dampers are not leaking.

bracpan

Have you tried running them with the shocks turned down? Its one hell of a difference on the road much more complient. I am suppriesed you have found them hard as the spring rates on Tein are not to bad for road use, unlike others.
But you can get Springs from Tein for £50 a pair from a dealer.
Good luck
Phil

davey red.r

ive had coilovers on my last 2 gtirs,
ive just had gabs fitted last week:-D the handling is spot on,tbh like them better than coilovers,get gabs for road use, you will be happier than coilovers,overkill in my opinion for road use.more track, or the fact that people can say ,they have coilovers when they dont really need them:doh:

davey;-)

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
davey red.r said:
you will be happier than coilovers,overkill in my opinion for road use.more track, or the fact that people can say ,they have coilovers when they dont really need them:doh:

davey;-)
Not often people say that, but quite often the truth!

bracpan

True the Whiteline complete kit makes a very good handling road car and that does not use coilovers. But for competition they are a must, as usuall its what you use the car for.
Good luck
Phil

Kev@Apex

fubar andy said:
Not often people say that, but quite often the truth!
I'll also agree with that :)

but point out that most people get the wrong setup coilovers for what they want. The whole point of coilovers is the ability to tune them, with spring rates, rideheight and damping to get the setup that you want.

I know loads of people who buy track-spec coilovers as they do 1 trackday a year and for the rest of the time "bodge" the comfort and handling on the road with the damping turned right down!

Get the right setup and you'll be happy.