Suspension/Geometry Setup

I'm planning to have the setup sorted soon but have a few questions (am a relative novice when it comes to these things so please forgive my ignorance).

1. I've read the standard caster is +2 degrees and that I should be around +4 for the street. I've got the Whiteline anti-lift kit fitted so I'm guessing I'm on about +3 degrees at the moment. What else can I do to get to 4?

2. On the rear toe angle, Whiteline are completely anti toe-in (which seems to be the factory setting and also suggested by some members) and go with 3 mm toe-out as per their article. The car seems relatively stable (though I'm not completely happy) but going with Whiteline's suggestion would make it worse wouldn't it?

3. I've got the Whiteline front anti-roll bar but seems as though the factory one is better for the street. Is it worth changing it back or will the current one do?

4. I've got Tein SS coilovers to fit and will probably just go with the recommended ride height and damping levels. Good thing to do?

cheers

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
1. I've read the standard caster is +2 degrees and that I should be around +4 for the street. I've got the Whiteline anti-lift kit fitted so I'm guessing I'm on about +3 degrees at the moment. What else can I do to get to 4?
Do you have adjustable top mounts? If so re-drill the mounting points and turn them so that you can adjust the castor with the camber.
Campbellju wrote a piece about it, and I think it's a sticky if you look for it.

2. On the rear toe angle, Whiteline are completely anti toe-in (which seems to be the factory setting and also suggested by some members) and go with 3 mm toe-out as per their article. The car seems relatively stable (though I'm not completely happy) but going with Whiteline's suggestion would make it worse wouldn't it?
The worst handling I've had was excessive toe-in. The best I've had it is with 0º00'
I suspect that as the suspension loads-up it causes some splaying and puts a bit of toe back in. - Who knows; find what works for you?

3. I've got the Whiteline front anti-roll bar but seems as though the factory one is better for the street. Is it worth changing it back or will the current one do?
The Whiteline bar is just softer to make the front axle more compliant and therefore grip more in a corner. - It's good to reduce the understeer if that's what you're trying to achieve.
I've got the Nissan front ARB and the Whiteline (non-adjustable) rear ARB. - If anything it's now prone to oversteer than understeer, which I prefer since I don't like powering into kerbs.

4. I've got Tein SS coilovers to fit and will probably just go with the recommended ride height and damping levels. Good thing to do?
Out of my depth. - I've just got Nismo adjustable struts... and even that I take on faith because I can't see "Nismo" stamped into the body anywhere.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
2) Sorry, I misread that; I was talking about front toe-in.
I didn't think you could adjust the rear toe; you'd need to fit some custom parts to change that wouldn't you? Or is it a matter of beating on some tie-bars until you achieve the setting you're after?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I've learnt something new. - What are the adjustable parallel links for in that case?

Is it camber you can't adjust and that's what they're for?

Do you have adjustable top mounts? If so re-drill the mounting points and turn them so that you can adjust the castor with the camber.
Campbellju wrote a piece about it, and I think it's a sticky if you look for it.
Thanks, will do. I kept reading about "the caster mod" on different threads but I couldn't find what it was! This must be it.

The worst handling I've had was excessive toe-in. The best I've had it is with 0º00'
I suspect that as the suspension loads-up it causes some splaying and puts a bit of toe back in. - Who knows; find what works for you?
Yeh, neutral seems to be what most prefer for the back, with a toe-in bias. The back end on mine is a bit of a rebel at the moment at times but I suspect that's more to do with my weeping rear shocks than anything else.

The Whiteline bar is just softer to make the front axle more compliant and therefore grip more in a corner. - It's good to reduce the understeer if that's what you're trying to achieve.
I've got the Nissan front ARB and the Whiteline (non-adjustable) rear ARB. - If anything it's now prone to oversteer than understeer, which I prefer since I don't like powering into kerbs.
Yeh I read somewhere that the Whitline one adds a tad of negative camber which is why I went with it. Strange thing is Whiteline themselves say to keep the std one for road use???

Out of my depth. - I've just got Nismo adjustable struts... and even that I take on faith because I can't see "Nismo" stamped into the body anywhere.

Living dangerously there mate!

I've had a look and I don't have the adjustable top mounts. Is there any way around it or will I need to get adjustable ones? Which ones would go with Tein SS other than Tein (can't find any)?