suspension dust covers

M

mynheers_a_pint

Hi all. i'm jsut wondering if anyone knows of a quick fix or solution for this. Basically i was gonig to fit new dust covers to my suspension- i jsut bought some second hand Koni's and a couple came without dust covers. I have just phoned nissan and to my horror they are £30+ each, plus VAT ofr a couple of bits or rubber! I'm not sure whether to bit the bullet and order them or if anyone knows whether or not the suspension would operate fine without? I suppose i could just re-use the ones already fitted but i wanted to avoid stripping my standard suspension down.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers.

Garef

I asked this same question a while ago and someone had mentioned something about motorbike dust covers, I never followed through with it so I can't comment. However, surely you could pick some up from a scrappy somewhere.

Animaldaz

The dust covers have the bump stop built-in to them so you need to have them fitted. And the damper rods will get weathered without some protection so you could see premature failure, which is gonna cost you alot more. If the ones on your oe struts are ok then re-use them, dont be tempted to undo the top mounts without spring clamps though.

vss irvine

Garef said:
I asked this same question a while ago and someone had mentioned something about motorbike dust covers, I never followed through with it so I can't comment. However, surely you could pick some up from a scrappy somewhere.
that would have been me!
front fork dust covers, it works, im clever!

M

mynheers_a_pint

i suppose it depends how cheap those are....
I may jsut bite the bullet and buy them- ust seems insane to spend well over 100 quid on dust covers for suspension that didn't cost all that much more in the first place...

EDIT- the back order on them is 4 weeks!!! i think i'll take them off the old ones, unless anyone has a spare set i can have?

Last edited by a moderator:

vss irvine

they cost a fiver each! its insane to spend over £100 on dust covers full stop!

have you contacted bob?

M

mynheers_a_pint

they do? Where you getting them from?

I haven't spoken to bob but i'm guessing it's my next port of call. I gotta get some wheels from him anyway.

M

mynheers_a_pint

cool. What do you do for bump stops? Do you jsut use the old ones?

JARS PulsR

I just ordered some from mike @ Camskill and it worked out slightly cheaper for each one.

My local nissan dealer wanted £35.27+VAT each for the rears, but Camskill only £25 inc. VAT
They're only £20 inc VAT each for the fronts from Camskill.

As these are ordered from Japan they'll take around 2 weeks to arrive I've been advised.

AFAIK the bumpstops are part of the dust covers and can't be seperated, thus the motor bike shock covers aren't an option.

P

pulsarboby

the leda suspension come with a rubber sleeve on the outside of the spring to stop dirt ingress, i think this is a much better idea as it also protects the spring.

perhaps you could by a rubber sleeve and stretch that over the whole thing.
bit like a giant condom lol