Surge Tank

P

pschurr

Hey, are you guys in the UK moving to anti-surge tanks? Do you suffer from air suck as the fuel level comes down? thru hard left turns.

Just wondering as I see a lot of talk about uprated in-tank fuel pumps. In Aus I'm trying to get people to at least consider an anti-surge tank and external pump over an uprated in-tank pump, as any hard driving is gonna suck air into the fuel line no matter what main-tank pump you've got.

peter

gtirpulsar

I've followed your thread on OZ list and I'm impressed with your results, well its only to be expected.

Its definitely something I would have considered if I didn't have my mofo flowing SARD fuel pump. The only time I have experienced air suck was on hard empty and hard cornering. Its the only uprated fuel pump I know of that doesn't suffer from flow problems below 1/4 tank (and I'm fortunate by accident not by research) However it did cost ~ £175 s/h but unused.

The only thing I feel uncomfortable about with surge tanks (perception vs reality) is having it mounted in the engine bay, it would be constantly nagging me that it is a bomb waiting to explode. I'll say it agin though perception vs reality

G

GTI-R Kid

What sort of results have you gotten from your research? Since many may not be able to access the OZ list it would certainly be interesting to hear about.

I've never really suffered from it mainly because i've always been reluctant to let the needle get anywhere near the 1/4 level. No doubt if i got it on track though it'd soon be heading for empty in no time.

P

pschurr

Ok, firstly noone should be impressed with my results... I did what makes sense and it works. Plenty of people here in Aus have been running with anti-surge tanks long before me. So I don't take any kudos. The reality is I'm a bunny in this game.

Results? On my first couple of track outings, with good R-Spec tyres, any solid lateral g-force thru left handers and with the tank around 1/3 full, the pickup sucks air, which comes very quickly through the fuel line... and on exit from the corner (yeah, right when you plant the foot) the engine just stutters. In fact, mine emitted a couple of VERY loud bangs which scared the living shyte outta me.

Some of the more experienced track people here suggested that I wasn't driving hard enough, cause it SHOULD be happening at 1/2 tank (subsequently proven to be correct). Some of the harder core street drivers too suffered the condition.

So in went the tank (600ml) and Bosch external pump. I mounted both in the engine bay, while others have hung both under the rear compartment floor pan. At the last outing at the Island my last two laps of the day were with the empty-light hard on (minimum weight) and without a hint of hesitation through all corners a lot harder than I'd gone before.

The biggest difference is the peace of mind knowing that you're not gonna destroy the engine thru suddenly having little-2-no fuel at 6000rpm with the foot flat to the floor. Protection that lets you feel *more*? It does exist!

Second, if my factory in-tank pump was suffering, it is irrelevant now. All he's doing is low-pressure lifting to the anti-surge tank.

Third, better lap times.

Yeah, I'm not comfortable having the tank in the engine bay either, but it makes some sense to have the (new) primary pump right up near the rail.

As someone said, it depends on how you drive the car. Better handling/suspension will highlight the problem more as you'll go through corners faster.

peter

G

GTI-R Kid

Thanks for that - very informative. Now its time to show my techie lack of knowledge...

Do you have a standard pump still mounted in the fuel tank now?

Do you have any photo's of the install at all? If it brings the results you've outlined above then i'd be very interested in doing something similar to my own car in the future as i hope to get it out on the track with some frequency.

P

pschurr

Yeah, I have not touched the main tank at all. Factory pump in there still.

I will say this... one guy here hung the surge tank and pump underneath the rear compartment floor pan (in the same space as the rear muffler). This is good for front-end collisions, but I see it as a problem with exhaust heat and fuel, especially in a rear-ender.

I think the absolute best option is to mount tank/pump is the rear compartment (inside the cabin) but then it must be enclosed in steel box to separate it from the passenger cabin.

My battery is in the boot, and I have a homemade airbox that surrounds the air filter and the whole space between strut tower and headlight. So my tank is in that airbox. At least its some separation from the engine itself. The pump is on a homemade brack bolted to the chassis rail beside the passenger side strut tower.

peter

P

pschurr

Oh, forgot to mention...

It's not for show, it's for go.

peter