Sump gasket sealer

Trip

A kind of stupid question. I am about to put a brand new sump in place but i have no idea how to remove the old gasket sealer i have attached to the engine.

Anyone can give me some ideas how to remove it. There is lots of it :cry:

Trip

got it all cleaned up..:-D

When putting the sump back in, the excessive sealer which comes out from the sides should be cleaned off using a towel, but what about the sealer which comes out on the other side inside the sump ?

vss irvine

try not to put too much on the inside evan,

then once you fit it make sure you leave it a day before put oil in it, allows the sealant to dry properly.

CanadianR

the manual says to apply the bead in the groove, but make sure you go inside the bolt holes so that oil won't get to the bolts and leak out the threads. You don't do two beads, just one bead.

johnsy

i put a good 9mm bead all the way round my sump ,on 1 surface only, and i didnt bother cleaning it off ,left for 2 days to cure then nipped up

CanadianR

Do you mean that i should put only on the sump ?
I applied mine to the pan. I laid a 4-5 mm bead in the groove and then on the inside of the pan around the bolt holes. I did not go around both sides of the holes, just the "inside" side.

This picture is not mine, I used the blue permatex stuff.

My bead was about half as wide as that one too. Notice in particular how the liquid gasket is applied on the oil side of the bolt holes, not the outside.

Good luck.