Steering rack boots

steve963

The boot has split and I noticed oil coming out of it, checked the power steering resovior and its not really low, is it normal to leak a bit of oil into the boot , it may be 60K miles worth of leaking as the boots probably original??

thanks

dobby

Mine is leaking a bit and I dont fancy stripping the rack off. I used one of the wynns products to stop the leak and got new boots from local motor factors for £7 pair. Nissan want £25 each iirc.

jjs

you can pick up boots at your local motor factors, ask for the gti model, same boot, and can be fitted in about 1 hour, think they are about £7.oo each

steve963

well, got some boots from local motor factors, but hole was too small, they didnt have gtir on stock so i had some other nissan ones, but track rods are thicker on gtir:doh:
so then purchased a universal item which seemed to do the trick with some trimming, £5 per side

be prepared for a b'stard of a job undoing the lock nut from the track rod end

I held the spanner on the track rod end while my old man had to resort to his foot on the spanner on the lock nut

CanadianR

How do you make sure that the alignment is still good once you change the boot? I need to change mine as well, but am worried the alignment will be out after messing about taking the track rod end off. (tie rod end??)

Animaldaz

You count the turns as you remove it, this will put the track rod end in approximately the same place but you really ought to have the alignment checked.

steve963

I marked mine with tape, as I couldnt be bothered counting turns, tyres are on there way out anyway so, ill get it setup when I get some new ones