Steering or front suspension, very heavy!

STU4X4

Hi guys, looking for a bit of help with heavy steering which I thing is caused by the strut tops but I can't see why?

If the strut is off the car and I try to turn the top mount it doesnt rotate on the bearing, it actually moves the whole damper rod!! Now I'm pretty sure this isnt right but if someone has one off the car and they could check I'd much appreciate it.

Stripped them down and checked the bearings and they're all free and greased and no wear or dirt in them. I built them back the same way I stripped them but does anyone know if they are in the correct way/order.....

1 Black top hat with rubber insert
2 gold plate with the 3 studs on
3 strut bearing fitted like a top hat, narrow part facing up
4 larger black spring cup/seat

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Stu

STU4X4

Yeah that's the way I've got it built up, I can't tell from the picture but it seems logical that the bearings should be fitted in the direction mine are.....just can't see why as soon as I tighten the nut up it clamps everything to the damper rod??

Stu

GTI-R Nath

doesn't the bearing only fit on one way round ?, i had stiffness and knocking on my drivers side front suspension, when i put my new springs on, and i just took the covers off the bearing greased the thrust bearing bit in the middle then put everything back together, and that fixed the problem.

STU4X4

The bearing could go either way round but logically there would be too much weight/stress on such a small surface if I was to fit it the other way up. I did open them up and check for bearing wear or dirt and grit. There was still plenty of grease in them and the rotate smoothly??

Anybody got a complete strut that they could check for me?

Stu