Standard timing setting

PulsarLee

Thanks Mate.

not sure if you will know but is this the setting for 95 RON petrol or 99 ocatine? If the car has been adjusted to run on uk 95 octaine will the timing have been retarded a bit?

Thanks,

lee

Fusion Ed

In theory setting it to 15deg should be ok on 95 if not running more than stock boost... I say theory as i have never tried it on a dyno to say so for sure.

PulsarLee

hi,

do you have a dyno? or can you advise who might be the best place to take it / cost to check out the timing, and fueling.

I currently use 0.8 bar and a mix of 99 and 95 ron

not sure what the timing is set at

thanks,

lee

Fusion Ed

I do it by locking the ECU to base timing using consult. Its the only way I have found to guarantee to get it right.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Thanks Mate.

not sure if you will know but is this the setting for 95 RON petrol or 99 ocatine? If the car has been adjusted to run on uk 95 octaine will the timing have been retarded a bit?

Thanks,

lee

Unless you live in Ireland where it's not easy to get over 95 by all account, just run it on Vpower, SUL etc.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
If you have a Nissan Consult (it's the service tool for the car that plugs into the ECU) you can stop the timing from advancing (i.e. locking it) so that the base timing can be set.
TPS = Throttle Position Sensor - It's that green thing on the end of the throttle bodies which measures where the throttle is and reports it to the ECU.

nitrosgti-r

You set the base timing with the tps off and idle below 1000rpm brett.
Nice one. Dont you have to rev then engine above 3k 3times to get the ecu into set mode aswell or is that just a myth?? I wanna get a Blazt cable thing as i just cant get it right for some reason?

stumo

the revving to 3k is to make sure there's no excess fuel in the manifold that would give a false idle

dotalot

Its nothing to do with a remap.
I didnt say it was, I meerly asked a question - Is the ign timing set by distributer position, i.e can I do it with a 12mm socket and a timing strobe??? Or is there some other gubbins controlling it???

Fusion Ed

Sorry, my answer was a bit short (rushed) its set by the position of the distributor. However you have to lock the ECU into providing a base ign setting (20 deg BTDC), that's the bit people have difficulty in doing. Then you turn the distributor so that you get 20deg with a strobe light. Then the ECU is in sync with the engine.

stumo

I didnt say it was, I meerly asked a question - Is the ign timing set by distributer position, i.e can I do it with a 12mm socket and a timing strobe??? Or is there some other gubbins controlling it???

Unplug the TPS, make sure your idle isn't stupid and then use a timing light to set the timing.