Standard ECU mapping

Keira

you may have already had some damage to the ringland then and pushing for more more power finally finished it off/ revealed the issue.

i've seen a few engines that have smoked their tits off at higher boost settings but with lower boost the engine would have appeared to be ok

good luck with the future

PaulB

yeah, thats pretty much how it seems, it didnt just come on with that run,

something thats come to light pushing decent BHP.

Never mind, its happened, just gonna put it in my garage and think of a plan.

A bottom end, with a set of forgies in would be lovely if anyones got one??

cheers

P

pulsarboby

yes that is the one!
but make sure you do get the oil pump with it (and thats not just the cover)!
does not state clearly on the description.

you can buy the pump rotors cheaper than that, if you dont want the complete unit.

youngsyp

Ah bad news bud. However, the outcome of the mapping sounds good. Did they actually map the engine or, apply a 'generic' map to the daughter board/chip set, with your mods in mind ?

With the daughter board/chip set set up, do they map it dynamically, or like the ECUTek stuff, diagnose the fuelling and ignition curve, then stop the car and flash the ecu ?

I've got a couple of other things lined up first but, I'd really like to take a trip to Horsham Developments and get them to remap my OE ecu !

Good luck with the rebuild too !

PaulB

Yeah, well a tired engine pushing 1.2bar with a GT30, it just didnt like it.

Theres no "generic" maps for a standard Gtir,.

Im no mapper, but it was all done on the day to suit the conditions.

The daughterboards come with chips that cant be flashed, we just wrote the maps to the chip then ran it, logged the changes, wrote them to the chip and done the same cycle again. Used a few sets of chips, but there only pennys to buy.
The emulator we tried to use didnt work as it only had one output, and would only read either the odd or even side of the daughtereboard.

I understood some, but im sure Micra Ed would tell you more.

PaulB

If you guys have been keeping an eye on the engine rebuild thread i had going, then youl have seen the final results which have been had with the standard ECU.

With the daughterboard soldered onto the ECU mainboard, allsorts of fuel and ignition changes can be made, and with the results ive had, i personally wont be going to use aftermarket management. Id be more than happy to wind the boost up and have a remap to 450bhp.

Heres the graphs from the results.

Power and torque at the flywheel.

At the wheels.

At the wheels with the boost shown.

PaulB

Were you looking at summat from Horsham a while ago? Matt at TRL will do the same thing, only on the rollers and not on the road, which i feel is better.

Fusion Ed

If it interests anyone I now have the facility to map stock ecus (real time whilst in the car)

I am trailing this soon.

PaulB

Ed,

Where do you get your daughterboards from? I used a company in Oz called PLMS developments. Had a few emails from a guy there and he has come up with a fantastic tuning system, heres the comments he told me about, having asked if he used an emulator.

Our system doesn't need an emulator at all!

It consists of a special real-time daughterboard which is fitted to the ECU
in the normal manner. You then run the software on your laptop which
communicates via the Consult Port. When you are finished your tuning session
you just hit a button to save the changes and pull the Consult Cable out.
That's it. Data is now permanently saved unless you wish to go in later and
edit it. We now have 4 different boards to support a range of Nissan engines
(not all ready for sale at this point).

The system provides real-time map trace, advanced editing and map comparison
functions, 3D map view, Consult Data display, WB AFR meter support and
logging/playback of all parameters.

I've been tuning S13 SR20DET's for over a year using the system (tuned a
GTiR just last week). During this time both the boards and the software have
been slowly advancing. It's a great system to use - you don't even need to
see the Dboard once installed. Just plug in with the laptop - no mass of
boxes, cables etc.

The system is now at a point where the boards are fully developed and the
software is functional but still being actively improved. We've been selling
limited quantities of boards and software to users all over the world so
that we can get the bugs out and all has been going well. Introductory
pricing is : S13 SR boards are $AU220 and the software is $AU200 - making it
the cheapest real-time system that I'm aware of.

If you want more info I can send you some screen shots etc.

PL

I think that system looks damn good value for money, all in itl costs £175 for the software and the chips, making the stock ECU a real valuable piece of kit.

Fusion Ed

I don't use PLMS, although their system is similar. I'm not limited to just S13 which seem to be what PMLS can do at the moment. I can do pretty much everything nissan wise. Upto a point)

low612

Micra Ed said:
I don't use PLMS, although their system is similar. I'm not limited to just S13 which seem to be what PMLS can do at the moment. I can do pretty much everything nissan wise. Upto a point)
Now how would it work if you have a boxer ecu? Would the roms have to be replaced or a whole new board?

Fusion Ed

Depends on what you wanted to achieve. There are several ways to approach this. For something like a boxer ecu I would just create a rom on a realtime ecu then burn it onto the roms in the boxer ecu after. :)

S

str_motorsport

i use the PLMS real time stuff on my gti-r.
really a great piece of kit and a nice software to use!!!
i am very impressed with it!
i have been using daughterboards since 1999 and i know the std ecu is more than capable,there is no need to spend tons for an aftermarket ecu...
Pete at PLMS is a great guy and really knows his stuff!!!