Standard boost is 1.7 bar... Oh dear

paz

Ok, so I thought my boost controller was shot.

Turns out even with it off the car boosts to around 1.7 bar and feels like it wants to keep going. I'll add that this was a one time test to help diagnose the problem, I won't be doing it regularly.

From searching, I think this means I've got a boost leak or have popped a boost hose- are there any "typical" areas this happens where people suggest I start looking or do I just need to check everything. Might need a garage for this one I think!

Cheers in advance

Paz

williams

have you got a vacum connected to teh wastegate? run 1 straight from inlet to wastegate, dont go through any boost solenoids.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The hose to the wastegate should be the suspect, unless the actuator/wastegate itself has somehow got stuck. A normal boost leak (hose popped off etc) would cause the car to run like crap.

paz

It's been running worse than normal, missing a little and seems to be a little sluggish when off boost.

I'll have a poke about tomorrow and see if I can see any obvious issues but I'm a little out of my depth now tbh

Paz

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
You shouldn't get any boost if a big hose has popped off. Possibly (but hope not) you might have damaged a piston at 1.7bar if it's not mapped for it.

Buckym120

Same as above would check the vacuum pipe to the actuator as mine popped off ages ago and tried to run to unlimited boost

paz

:lol: gotta love a bit of positivity ;)

Thanks for the advice all.

So the actuator pipe issue sounds like it would be easy to spot, what's the best way to diagnose a split diaphragm? Like I said, a little out of my depth from a knowledge perspective- happy to have a go but need some tips to help!

Cheers

Paz

MarkTurbo

Easiest way to check the diaphragm is to attach a footpump direct to the actuator, i cut the valve off an old mountain bike inner tube and then wedged it into a short length of rubber hose. You'll soon hear it if its leaking ;-)