Standard anti roll bar-Does it need to be changed?

L

lead

Hi! :)
I am planning to get the whiteline works kit plus bushes, bumpsteer, etc.

Was wondering if the standard anti roll bar in the front of the gti-r is necessery to change? Will the whiteline or cusco front anti roll bar make a noticeable difference in the handling? :?:

Keira

the whiteline one is 27mm as opposed to 28mm as standard, it is supposed to help with the understeer problem and with everything else fitted probably wouldn't hurt doing aswell 8)

wether its worth changing or not i wouldn't know as i havn't fiited mine yet, but like i say, it aint going to make it any worse :wink:

ki_saj_ng

here goes,

u probably know that i study motorsport engineering at herts uni (then again probably not!)

basically we have motorsport lectures, and one of the lecturers is Jeff Peters (dont know if uv heard of him) but he works for some touring car company and he is a very clever bloke. basically he is one of their engineers and does alot of shit to their cars - i know he maps cars (need to give him mine when its sorted)

in one of the lectures we were discussing steering and suspension, this will really drag on so il cut it short. onto roll bars - he said they dont do shit, if anything they worsen ur steering.

when u steer into a corner, ur opposite wheel lifts and the purpose of the roll bar is to keep everything stiff and keep the wheels on the ground but it has a sort of fooked effect, as one wheel lifts, cos of the roll bar it lifts the other one - basically doing the exact opposite of its purpose.

il leave it at that for now and i will try to argue my case as i know EVERYONE will object to what i said, but let me tell u that this geezer fought this case well and proved his point and it all made sense in the way he explained it.

ok, throw ur abuse at me, im ready i think :twisted:

saj

ps, he also was really against strut braces, thats y i aint got none :D

O

Odin

And that is prob why the whiteline bar is thinner than the standard one you numpty :roll: :lol: :lol: .

rob

ki_saj_ng

1mm is not going to give it all the flex to correct the problem now is it :?:

roll bars are just no good and dont do what they are meant to :!:

O

Odin

Don't try and get out of it now fella :roll: .

So why is it the all the touring car teams still use anti roll bars then :? :? :?: just because they like the way they look or what :? .

rob

Keira

ki_saj_ng said:
roll bars are just no good and dont do what they are meant to :!:
why dont you take them both of your car and see how it handles :?:

like v says, race cars still use them and its a common upgrade to help prevent body roll and better handling. Some group b cars had in car adjustable rear anti-roll bars, think the audi's did...and changing the settings on the whiteline rear arb change handling characteristics...

you sure you didn't fall asleep up the back of the class and got the wrong end of the stick :wink:

O

Odin

kieron said:
[

you sure you didn't fall asleep up the back of the class and got the wrong end of the stick :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I like :wink:

rob

skiddusmarkus

As i understand it the ARB is like a spring that helps keep the bottom of the suspension strut in place when cornering and helps it hold camber etc.In the dry they work well as they keep more rubber on the road but in the wet they can hinder you as they make it too stiff and prone to losing grip.

ki_saj_ng

hey,

ok, gonna have to get technical with u now, just bin speaking to the pro :wink: :D

ARBs reduce the grip on an individual axle, the stiffer they are, the less
grip that axle has. They are used to balance the car (O/S U/S) and to provide some body control.

The stiffer the bar the greater the weight transfer and therefore the lower the grip (traction ellipses) an ideal car would have no ARBs.

:p so off go the ARBs :D

why dont you take them both of your car and see how it handles
ok, u wanna borrow me ur engine first? (its all in the siggy)

:D

O

Odin

ki_saj_ng said:
:p so off go the ARBs :D
don't worry fella I'll be there to have a good laugh when there pulling you out that ditch 8) :lol: :lol: .

rob

ki_saj_ng

rob

u know it makes sense technically, im not saying that it would handle better, or that iv tried it, and i dont know why we all still use them but what im saying is that technically speaking we would be better without them.

its upto u all to believe or not to believe!

saj 8)

O

Odin

We could all start a new trend ah, the A R B less club, comeing soon to you nearest scrap yard :shock: :lol: :lol: .

rob

Keira

ki_saj_ng said:
The stiffer the bar the greater the weight transfer and therefore the lower the grip
makes sense cos the whiteline ones stiffen up the back and being smaller on the front will soften the front, giving a better balance over standard

C

Crazy

Not sure whether this helps or not but on my other car (Mazda 323GT) I got the rear ARB mounts stuck on a curb (Don't ask) and when I pulled off it snapped so I got my local cowboy mechanic to completely remove it :shock:

Well :shock: all :shock: I :shock: will :shock: say :shock: is its fucking scary at high speed around a corner and if I push it enough it drifts nicely when provoked by the hand brake :shock: :shock:

So I think my ARB on my GTiR is staying :D

Tony

I think the whiteline ARB is hollow!!! my pal has 1 fitted to his race car and it has pulled the mounting points away from the chassis!!!!

Tony....

ashills

well worth checking when under the car as when i stripped my car teh anti roll bar mounts had snapped away from the body on both side maybe best to seem weld teh mounts before they snap ??