***Stainless Steel Manifolds for the R - coming soon***

boucherie

A mate of mine is looking to start up a small company making direct replacement manifolds for a range of vehicles such as the GTIR, MR2 GT4, FTO etc.

They will be made out of stainless steel and my car will be used to test out the ones for the R, but if he was to make more of them who on here would be interested and how much would you be willing to pay inc postage?? obviously the more ppl that are interested then the lower price. Hopefully i will have mine on and fitted in the new year, but at the minute im doing some market research for him!

Cheers

D

Dee 1

I`d be well interested mate as long as its top quality and not to expenceive :D

Kepp us posted 8)

O

Odin

I don't mind paying £500 for a good quality one made of a top grade stainless and not the 5hite blueflame make the goose out of and, Also
I'd like to see it made at least 3mm thick.

rob

JIMMYBACK

vpulsar said:
I don't mind paying £500 for a good quality one made of a top grade stainless and not the 5hite blueflame make the goose out of and, Also
I'd like to see it made at least 3mm thick.

rob
:shock: :roll: :roll: u dont ask for much rob do u :roll: :wink:

O

Odin

JIMMYBACK B said:
:shock: :roll: :roll: u dont ask for much rob do u :roll: :wink:

Yes I do matey :wink: There's no point in fitting 5hite to are car's is there.

rob

mohsan

i agree v pulsa

i agree with v pulsar, its got to be a good grade of stainless steel not thin like the goose exhausts. but i wont be willing to pay £500. im sure if theirs 10 of us we should be able to get it around £200.

MarkTurbo

Re: i agree v pulsa

mohsan said:
im sure if theirs 10 of us we should be able to get it around £200.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nad

mohsan said:
i agree with v pulsar, its got to be a good grade of stainless steel not thin like the goose exhausts. but i wont be willing to pay £500. im sure if theirs 10 of us we should be able to get it around £200.
Mongoose Exhausts are easier to make than manifold and u wouldnt get them for £200 each if u ordered 50, let along 10!

skiddusmarkus

mohsan said:

I think the grade of stainless steel is determined by the quality of the metal,not how thick it is.I haven't heard of any Mongoose exhaust blowing holes due to them being too thin.
I think you're dreaming on the price though-who's going to make 10 for £2000 when they could make 4 for £2000?

I

Innovate Performance

skiddusmarkus is right steel is graded on the quality not the the thickness.

You will never get a good quality stainless steel manifold for less than £390.00 thats due to the time they take to make and the price of the steel. :(

Cheaper stainless steel discolours due to the heat an d the rusts and will most likely brake.

You are better off paying £500.00 for a good quality one, than paying £200.00 for some old Sh*T and then having to buy another one a year later.

O

Odin

Innovate Performance said:
You are better off paying £500.00 for a good quality one, than paying £200.00 for some old Sh*T and then having to buy another one a year later.
See you lot never take any notice of me do you :roll: :lol: .

You should all know by now that I'm allway's right :shock: :D .

rob

I

Innovate Performance

Just a quick point you want at least 304 stainless steel on an exhaust system, The thickness is not so much a problem on the exhaust system, but you need a resonable grade of steel for the manifold to provide strength.

kirko

the mongoose is grade 304 this is prone to slight rusting and wont stay bright if polished
if they were made from 316 grade they would be much better
but my mongoose is 4 years old and there is no sign of failure yet so i guess 304 is acceptable
but on a manifold you would need atleast 316 and about 3mm wall thickness all grades of stainless will discolour because of the high temperature
i would want atleast 500 quid to make one coz its not as easy as you think

Mr GTiR

I know it's a bit off topic but how much bhp and torque will a s/s manifold make? What are the gains/advantages of a s/s manifold compared to a stock item which has had a little enlarging of the ports? I've read that a standard item with a little enlarging of the ports is good for 400bhp.

Will this item be equal length branches? Again what are the gains? If it's faster spool up then i better start saving my peney's.

As V say's no point in paying/fitting sh!t.

As for the Mongoose exhaust, never had a problem with them and have been using Blue Flame for nearly 8 years now!

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
I've just had a custom s/s tubular mani made up to suit the new turbo and external wastegate...

The standard mani if far stronger than any s/s tubular mani and is good to stick with if possible... I went for the s/s tubular mani in order to fit the rather large turbo and external wastegate...

i gave the company my car and they braced up the turbo in the position that they were happy with and then built the mani to suit... They then also brace the mani and the wastegate and the screamer pipe... Thats the way to do it... They also made me up some new IC pipework to fit now that the mani was taking up some of the room where the old pipe run used to go... Pipe run is now much shorter too... :D

For me this was a worth while investment... and at a very very good price...

I would say to only use a s/s manifold if you really have to i.e due to rather large turbo or external wastegate etc...

Rishi

Mr GTiR

RishiGTiR said:
The standard mani if far stronger than any s/s tubular mani and is good to stick with if possible... I went for the s/s tubular mani in order to fit the rather large turbo and external wastegate...
not sure what my turbo is but all i know is that the exhaust side is a T28 and the comprerssor side has a A/F 70?

Wastegate is still internal and only want to run 400bhp from mine. Think i'll stick with the standard item and spend money on a twin 3" dump pipe.

Cheers for the advice Rishi 8)

Surry

I've read that a standard item with a little enlarging of the ports is good for 400bhp
This is true, my standard manifold (with some porting and an external wastgate welded on) was more than adequate for 391 hp at the hubs on the thor dynopack, even if the engine didnt last (but this wasnt the manifolds fault) and was due to the mapping.

Jon