Squeaking noise on startup

paz

When I first start the car in the morning I get a regular sqeaking noise - it sounds like a belt of some kind to me.

Once the car has been running for a minute or so the noise goes.

Are there any belts on the R that require regular changes that I should be checking first?

Cheers

Paz

Stevo

same noise here :lol:
is there just a Fan belt?
or does one belt run the alternator power steering aircon??

JIMMYBACK

Stevo said:
same noise here :lol:
is there just a Fan belt?
or does one belt run the alternator power steering aircon??
i think u probbo right it does power two other pulleys as far as im aware im gonna change it at the weekend :lol:

youngsyp

Mine makes a funny noise when you turn the ignition on before I crank it. It sound like a seal :shock: . Like an errrrnnn kind of noise ?! Anyone else got this ?

Keira

Stevo said:
can u do mine while ur @ it??? ;)
is it an engine out job ?
you can take the engine out to change your alternator belt if you really want to :wink:

lose the drivers wheel and arch gaurd to see everything. Sure there's a bolt somewhere that you have to get to from underneath, cant remember Have a good look at it, think it is the bolt the alternator pivots on which will have to be loosened, and an adjuster on top, get the alternator loosened up so its swinging and the belt will come.

So easy even i can get it finished on exactly the same day i started doing it :roll: :lol:

J

John Mc

paz said:
When I first start the car in the morning I get a regular sqeaking noise - it sounds like a belt of some kind to me.

Are there any belts on the R that require regular changes that I should be checking first?

Cheers

Paz
Alright mate,

I had the same on my R, the belt tensioner on the belt wasn't doing anything, tightened it up and it sorted the squealing until my alternator seized :roll: then the squealing came back with avengance :lol:

A

ard1ey

youngsyp, if your seal noise is happening when you first turn the ignition on (all the red lights on) and then stops after a second or two - its the fuel pump priming. Might be more noticeable if you have an uprated jobbie in there. Good description tho :D

geetee

I thought seals made a kind of ARPH ARPH noise and clapped their flippers rather than the mechanical kind of buzz you get from the fuel pump priming??

Christ... just realised how difficult it is to describe a sound in words. :lol:

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

paz

John Mc said:
paz said:

Cheers

Paz
Alright mate,

I had the same on my R, the belt tensioner on the belt wasn't doing anything, tightened it up and it sorted the squealing until my alternator seized :roll: then the squealing came back with avengance :lol:
:lol: didn't have much luck with that did you ;

cheers, I'll give it a go.

Paz