Spring Fitment

S

scottie686

Just done a search but didn't really find what I was looking for. I'm looking to fit some lowering springs onto the 'R' but have never really had much experience with spring or shock fitment in the past. :oops: :(

Just wondering how a. how much of a simple/hard task it is b. how exactly it's done!!! :? Does anyone have a step-by-step guide like in the 'how to' sections or if someone wouldn't mind letting me know a rough step-by-step guide I'd be grateful. :wink:

Regards

S

OZ-Racing

I had a crack at this, was surprisingly easy.

Special tools wise you need spring compressors and a mahoooosive extension / bar for your socket wrench for when you come to undo the bolts which hold the hub to the shock (you are supposed to replace these nuts and bolts :oops: ).

The only hard / scary part is when you try and get the spring compressors off the front springs after you have taken them off the shocks, would have been a lot easier with 2 pairs of compressors.

Depending on how far you have dropped the suspension, you will have to make some adjustments to the tracking / camber before you move the car to your local garage for setting-up otherwise you'll scrub your front tyres out :roll: (or stick some old wheels / tyres on for the journey).

You'll also probably need some camber adjustment bolts or the like for the front, I was ok cos the car came with Cusco pillowball top mounts

Have fun :lol: :lol:

nismoboy

I think the camber issue is a bit ott, just fit the springs and then drive down to your local garage and get your tracking re-done. Sorted.

OZ-Racing

nismoboy said:
I think the camber issue is a bit ott, just fit the springs and then drive down to your local garage and get your tracking re-done. Sorted.
Camber was an issue on mine cos I lowered it 75mm at the front :mrgreen: :roll: and ended up scrubbing the insides of my front tyres off in the 3 mile drive to the garage :oops:

S

scottie686

Thanks for your prompt reply guys. :wink: I think this could be a job that I can justifyably boot me bro out of his workshop for so I can use all the airlines and more so, keep dry!!!! :D I dare say though I'll prob get myself in a tis and have springs exploding all over the place!! :roll:

Is it literally as simple as undoing the top mount of the shock (with spring compresser in place) and the nut which attaches the shock to the hub and then all just sliding out? or is this just wishfull thinking?? I literally have no idea when it comes to suspension!!

S.

OZ-Racing

scottie686 said:
Thanks for your prompt reply guys. :wink: I think this could be a job that I can justifyably boot me bro out of his workshop for so I can use all the airlines and more so, keep dry!!!! :D I dare say though I'll prob get myself in a tis and have springs exploding all over the place!! :roll:

Is it literally as simple as undoing the top mount of the shock (with spring compresser in place) and the nut which attaches the shock to the hub and then all just sliding out? or is this just wishfull thinking?? I literally have no idea when it comes to suspension!!

S.
Wishful thinking. You have to undo a few more things than that (ARB [only on the back iirc], brake line clips, ABS cable clips and there are 2 bolts on the hub), and the spring compressors only go on after you have removed the complete shock assembly from the car (unless you cheat, but not recommended).

Fortunately the fronts and the backs are pretty much the same, but I would start with the backs then move to the fronts and remember that the springs on the front are a lot longer and stronger :(

Have fun :p

S

scottie686

Cheers mate. I'll let u know how I get on!! :? Right, where's my blow torch.......

W

WoOsH

1 thing m8

make sure u put the suspension back together the way u took it off otherwise you will get a horrible knocking noise when you turn the steeing

I never tightend the spring clamps enuff and the top mount sprung off accross the garden............. lol

I lowered mine 35-40mm just fit the springs and take it to a local garage that has 4 wheel laser alignment equipment.

mine only need a front wheel alignment £30