speedometer fault

SIR GTIR

Ok brief history
i fitted some white dials didnt have much trouble everything seemed to work fine
few months of so later the speedometer died wasnt to worryed as my greddy infometer had a kph read out from the ecu diagnostic port
the dial later sprung back to life and has done this a number of times since but the ecu signals always been there

anyways after i had a fuel leak the other day while removing the oil catch can to get some room i shorted a spanner to the battery (idiot i thought) covered with a rag after did the repair and drove to the petrol station
at the time it worked good thing too cop came toward me with his scanner on =) (love my V1)
Anyways after turning the car on after stopping and driving down the road no speedo so i picked up the infometer and nothing there either ????

so everyone sorry for the not so brief post But any thoughts

i had a spare speedsensor dont know if thats faulty too tho =S

any ideas what i need to do to get it going lads ??

Last edited:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
So the speedometer was on the way out, but you're confident it was just the gauge that perhaps got damaged putting the white dials in (as so many do)?

After the battery short even your infometer doesn't give a speed signal?

It does sound like the sender has died. Can you check your spare one by attaching it to a multimeter and spinning it up; I'm not sure you'll get much of a signal by hand, but a drill will definitely spin it fast enough. - It should be 0.5VAC
I'm trying to remember what someone (danr probably) posted about it; I think it's a sine generator, so the ecu measures the speed as pulses. If you know what you're doing with a CRO you can probably do a more in-depth analysis of the function... but the manual just says to make sure it gives you ~0.5VAC

The scary part will be if you check the sender in your transfer case and that works too... which would mean the fault it somewhere else (perhaps the ECU as that's what feeds the infometer rather than a direct read from the sender).

SIR GTIR

cheers bud
yeah every now and then it would die and then spring back to life
i had a couple of issues putting the dials in till i found a how to that worked a treat
might find some std clocks yet and fit leds as i've seen here

i'll see if i can get a reading with a muiltimeter on the sender been through the fuse box nothing seems blown with a test light
so if theres signal to from the sender theres really not many other possibility's?

fingers crossed might start looking for a donor ecu to put the daughterboard in :doh:

Last edited:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Mine was doing that for a long time: no speed, reading something, 180kmh parked in the drive, 180kmh at any speed on the road, nothing, something.

I swapped the clocks over with a donor set, and it's been fine ever since.

That's why I think you might have two problems... but you might get lucky. - I can't remember quite how it's wired, but I've got a feeling the signal goes to the clocks first then the ECU, so the faulty speedometer might just be not passing the signal back to the ECU. Is that the grey wire on the back of the clocks?

SIR GTIR

havent had the clocks out for a long time i'll have to pull them out
figures that this would happen just as i'm making progress with the tune and all round performance

SIR GTIR

well i'm thinking it might be a fatigued wire between the sender and the clocks
as the dial and infometer came back to life briefly and died again
I'm guessing the cable leaving the senders a good place to start ??

danr

yellow/green from dash to ecu iirc (5V square wave). speedo would work even if ecu not receiving speed.
this might help, green from speedo sensor apparently

splmum

I had something along these lines with my speedo.

Speedo stopped working, damn, then for no reason it would start working again, then you guessed it it would stop again.

This went on for some weeks with it sometimes just jumping up and down intermittently and then stoping again.

Took the R to an Instrument Fitter who checked the signals and said there was a problem with the speedo.

The IF pulled the dash apart and opened the speedo and there was this little printed circuit board, fried.

Replace the board and a diode and refitted back into the R, never missed a beat since.

Fire & skill

Vintage member
Ive just had the same problem, the lad before me fitted white dials, and when I got the car every other time I was out the speedo wouldnt work, but if I switched the car off and back on again the speedo would work, this got increasingly worse until it just stopped working at all. But it would still kick into life from time to time. I ordered a new set of clocks and fitted them last night, took the car out for a spin today and still not working!

Where is the speed senser located?

Fire & skill

Vintage member
with a bit of searching I think I know roughly where to look for the senser, cany believe its in such an awkward place!!!!!! Damn you GtiR, Damn you

SIR GTIR

its not to bad to get to once you get the starter motor out (if you have the H brace removed) Just disconnect the battery and leave the cables attached
then with a 3/8 socket set with long extension its easy

just be careful putting it back in that the senders completely seated otherwise you'll Snap the mounting tab off

Last edited:

SIR GTIR

well checked sensor harness to the plug in the side of the engine bay the top plug no problem there 252ohm tested at 2K from the sensor back to the cluster and got the same :noidea: Oh well guess i'll have another go some other time i'll keep the tread up to date if i cure it

SIR GTIR

just to add
the resting reading at the sensor itself was 252
at the 200 setting of the meter you get the pulse as you turn the gear of the sensor

Fire & skill

Vintage member
Right, I'm sorted now.

lets just say, dashboard apart, check plugs are in etc - check
change ecu (just in case) - check
dashboard apart, replace dials for standard set - check
replace speed senser - check

still not working

dashboard apart (again) trace wiring from delimiter chip

some fucking tool has wired it up wrong, for some unknown reason it was working intermittently

now wired correctly and working perfect

dashboard put back together - test run ok

this is for the fucking retard who couldnt wire in a delimiter :mong:

I just wired the new dash back in wire for wire - didnt even think to check. oh well I've some more spares for the car now :thumbsup:

Fire & skill

Vintage member
oh and by the way, if the delimeter isnt wired correctly the speedo AND the milometer dont work - this usually signals a faulty speed senser. it took about 15 mins to change the speedo senser, knuckles a bit scraped but wasnt too bad a job.