Speedo & Rev Counter not working water temp on max!

Simmo

Seems to be the day for problems :(

Replaced the Speedo/Rev/Fuel/Temp dash cluster yesterday as I had an <cough> mishap <cough> with the old one.

Put in the new clock set and the Speedo and the Rev Counter arent working at all, the water temp just swings upto extremely hot as soon as the ignition is turned on.

Ive got a delimiter on the car which connects to the back of the speedo with 2 wires (into the screws on the back).

Anyone got any ideas of what could be the problem, do you reckon the new unit is dodgey or have I fcked it during refitting?

Cheers, Simmo

S

smcnairn

What age is your car? and on the dash has it got an ABS warning light or does it say Antiskid?

Simmo

Its a 1991 (H Plate), it doesnt say Anti Skid on either dash clock set.

The original speedo has KPH in the inside and MPH (upto 110) on the outside, it was converted so that the KPH was is now MPH.

The new dash only has KPH upto 180 on it. All of the other items look identical.

Any ideas?

Fire & skill

Vintage member
smcnairn said:
What age is your car? and on the dash has it got an ABS warning light or does it say Antiskid?
my mayes one is an early dash that says antiskid - he has probs with the temp guage and the speedo kicks about at times :?

any ideas? bad earth maybe

S

smcnairn

if it sometimes works it sounds like a loose plug. I mentioned the ABS and ANTISKID warning lights as they have two different circuit boards on the back .The ANTISKID being for the early models 90>92 and the ABS for the later 93and 94 they are not compatable.

Simmo

Fixed it finally!

Ended up taking out each individual clock from the cluster and putting them in the original cluster case, works like a charm now for the Speedo and Rev Counter. It must be that the circuits are different, as you said Antiskid/ABS circuit might mess it up.

The water temp is still on the p!ss but seems to be working just far too high, mind you as long as the rad works should be fine :lol:

Now I have to sort the tyres, brakes and suspension as ive just sh!t my load! Came over the brow of a hill on the A27 and the traffic had stopped. Braked hard in a straight line and out went the back end, managed to save it but not risking that again!