smoke problem!!!

gazgstar

ok guys went out a drive down to ayr last night and noticed I was geting some blue smoke on the overrun which I didnt think much of at the time but today as I was leaving for work I started to notice more puffs of blue smoke even when the car wasn't boosting! first thing I checked were all turbo pipes but theres no oil lying around in them,then checked the plugs and everything seemed fine.Also compression tested it and number 4 cylinder read 145 and the rest read 150....just wondering what damage has been done now? any ideas on whats gone wrong???:sad:

Smo

Interesting - my grey car did this once, turned out the pipe venting to atmosphere from my catch can had been pinched shut somehow. Clearing and re-routing it sorted the problem.

Your compression test is fine, nothing to worry about there. Is there oil in your downpipe?

gazgstar

Has anyone ever known the turbo seals go on the exhaust side?? its the only other thing I can think would cause the poblem, failing that the engine will need stripped and rebuilt

P

pulsarboby

check for excess shaft play in turbo 'endfloat' if theres a fair amount of play then it will most likely be the turbo.
you will know for sure if its engine related when you remove the manifold from the head. if you see one of the exhaust ports in the head is wet and oily looking then that will be the cylinder thats giving you a problem, if they are all dry then it will be your turbo

stevie leese

Had this problem myself mate. My car never smoked while boosting, only on the over run. I ended up fitting a brand new turbo after checking everything els. With the new turbo fitted it was still exactly the same for about a month then it just stopped smoking and i never found what it was. I got a new turbo because there was end play but it did not cure the smoking. Steve.

ollydj

ive recentley has this fault, i found that when i swaped my standard ecu for my mines ecu the smoking stoped. it might be that its overfueling.

Smo

ive recentley has this fault, i found that when i swaped my standard ecu for my mines ecu the smoking stoped. it might be that its overfueling.
Overfuelling is black smoke bud, he's suffering from the dreaded blue.

gazgstar

thanks for the help guys, think I will take off the manifold and turbo off at the weekend and see whats what! would much rather its the turbo thats gone than having to get the engine rebuilt

gazgstar

Well thats me stripped the turbo and manifold off and cant see anything wrong:lol:, very minimal shaft play on the turbo and all cylinders seem fine, no oil anywhere. Think I'm gonna have to just take the head off and take another look:?

olliecast

Well done matey, good effort and good luck.

Fingers crossed its not ring lands or anything toss like that :)